close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Refinishing 1911 for Father's Day

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by ADagenhart, Jan 20, 2011.

1. ADagenhart

ADagenhart

Dec 24, 2010
    I want to get my father's 1911 refinished for father's day. I'm checking out the links here in the FAQ and I'm wondering if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with any of these guys. I wish I could post pictures of it, but it's halfway across the country right now. I'd estimate that it's around 50 years old and it was my grandfather's. I believe it's a Colt (been years since I've seen it).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    which guys?

if anything, see if Colt can refinish it for you.

3. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Absolutely.

If you're rebluing it, Colt needs to get the work.

4. ADagenhart

ADagenhart

Dec 24, 2010
    Sounds good. My mother will have to sneak a peak inside the gun cabinet for me because I live in another state. I believe that it is a Colt, and if so, Ill take that advice. If not, I will bump this for further discussion...

5. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    if it is a classic old colt over 50 years old- do NOT refinish-it will kill any collector value it may have-especially if it is a U.S. Military issue gun. What model is it and what condition is it in? a USGI with no original finish is worth more than one refinished. If the gun is a commercial model with a lot of wear it might not matter so much.

6. youngAR

youngAR

Dec 4, 2010
    DFW, TX
    If it has no value, refinish with Ion Bond. It can be high polished to look nice and will last longer than any blueing.

7. Vanman2004b

Vanman2004b

Mar 7, 2009
    Might want to ask Dad first. He might not want it refinished.

8. stukibuilt

stukibuilt

Jul 31, 2006
    Florida
    That's what I was thinking... He might appreciate it, but
    I know how "connected" I get with my pistols... I would have a heart attack if my lady had one that was special to me refinished unless it was something she had heard me specifically say, including the type of finish. It also comes down to how much you want to invest.

9. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    Definitely do this. It may have great sentimental value in its current state and while new-looking is nice, erasing memories can be really bad. :wavey:

10. ADagenhart

ADagenhart

Dec 24, 2010
    The reason I had originally planned to do it as a surprise was that he literally never shoots this gun. It's just stored in a cabinet and is never taken out. After some consideration, I do think it's probably a better idea to ask him first. I'm going to get some pics up as soon as I can and let some of you that are much more familiar with 1911s give me some pointers...

11. You have made a wise decision. Older 1911's may be very valuable and collectable until you refinish them.
    Especially military models.

12. ADagenhart

ADagenhart

Dec 24, 2010
    Update: It turns out the gun was my father's great grandfather's gun. It has a united states postal service mark on it, and he carried it when he worked. I'm guessing it was probably purchased sometime around 1915-1920, as he would have been around 35 or 40 years old at this time. My dad is going to take some pictures for me and I will post them here, and also call Colt to get an idea of how old the gun is and what it might be worth...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  13. rsxr22

rsxr22

Feb 25, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    very cool. glad to hear you didnt refinish that gem

14. ADagenhart

ADagenhart

Dec 24, 2010
    Any idea what it might be worth? I'm sure it's hard to say without pics, but what would a 1911 go for that was made in the early 1900's?

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

May 2, 2010
    Midwest
    I have no idea what it's worth, but I sure wouldn't refinish it that's for sure.

16. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    It is hard to place a value on one that is unseen. The model, age, and condition are three of the main factors that are taken into account when determining value. Once we see some good pics, along with a serial number, a rough value can assessed then.