close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Reference for Conceal Carry in a vehicle

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by J Crew, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jamaicanj

jamaicanj

Nov 25, 2007
    Florida
    I never heard of this hand signal...see below. Anyone else heard of it or better yet used it?

Thanks

2. GaleForce

GaleForce

Dec 11, 2010
    South FL
    Thanks for this thread. I was just wondering today that if, as someone without a CCW, I could keep a handgun in my glove. I don't have a holster since I don't carry but when I do have the gun with me it would be nice to be able to put it there rather than in the trunk like I have been doing.

Can the gun be loaded if you don't have a CCW?

EDIT: Never mind, I see above that someone mentioned the gun can be loaded.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

3. dbcooper

dbcooper

Mar 2, 2011
    I don't know why the 3 step thing refuses to die, it was never the law here.

One thing to remember is most officers still think there is a 3 step law and you may end up in cuffs til it's sorted out. Way back when I went to my CC class they included an article from a central Fl. paper. An attorney got pulled over, officer sees weapon, asks for permit, lawyer says I don't need one it's legal, lawyer spends 10 or so hours locked up, gets 60,000 dollars for wrongful arrest suit. I keep the copy of the laws in my car, just in case but an officer who doesn't know the law most likely will not read the law or debate it with you if he's convinced he's right, but you may get a big payday out of it.

4. deltacharlie2

deltacharlie2

Apr 21, 2011
    All the employees at my local gun shop have a loaded firearm on or around their center console. Many keep it within easy reach, concealed by a small towel. All our law enforcement cares about is if it is in plain sight. I got pulled over in Jacksonville Beach with a desert eagle in my unlocked glove compartment; the officer pulled out the weapon, smiled, and said "There needs to be more Americans like you".

5. Court in FL.

Court in FL.

Mar 21, 2006
    South Florida
    Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use.

I take it this means long guns (rifles & shotguns) are not a problem when carried in a private conveyance (car or truck). ???????

Court in FL.

6. brboyer

brboyer

Jun 15, 2006
    Tampa Bay Florida
    Correct.

7. :rofl:

8. rdpG19

rdpG19

Aug 17, 2011
    Florida
    Both my wife and I have CWL's I carry on my hip everywhere I go, she carries in a belly band sometimes..

Good Post...very informative!

9. docswing21

docswing21 Doc w/ a Glock

Jul 13, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Concealed weapons on military bases does any one have any information on the rules on this?
    I was told that you could not! Any insight would be great.

Thanks

Doc

10. waylouderthanyou

waylouderthanyou

May 13, 2012
    Orlando
    Great info, newbie here! I usually carry everywhere with my gov't credentials :)

11. redscho

redscho

May 13, 2013
    Newberry, FL
    This is true. No personal weapons, concealed or otherwise are allowed on military bases. Checked it out before visiting grandson at Columbus AFB Mississippi 4/28/13.

see: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440102

12. zo6kid

zo6kid

Feb 21, 2012
    Florida
    Thanks for the Forum , lots of good info , waiting on my CCW .

13. MBeach222

MBeach222

Aug 13, 2014
    Florida
    So, just to clarify and see if I understood this discussion correctly...

Is this correct? A non-CWP must encase the weapon in car.

A CWP holder does not need to encase the weapon, and can carry it on their person, in a belt holster, in the console/glove box -- wherever they want, since they have a CWP.

...and everyone needs to keep it out of sight, CWP or not. No open carry, not even in a car.

Do I have that correctly?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  14. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    A pistol must always be concealed in a car, with or without a permit. With the permit, the pistol can be on you just as you would carry anywhere else or in a glove box, snapped holster out of sight, center console, snapped gun case, zippered bag, etc. The only thing that changes if the pistol is not on your person while in a car is that it can be "outside of the ordinary view of others". Basically with a CWP, you can have it laying on the passenger seat covered by a shirt.

Without the permit, you obviously cannot carry the pistol on your person, and the rule also becomes more strict by requiring the pistol to be "securely encased in a latched compartment". This includes center consoles, glove boxes, zippered bags, the original Glock case, etc. (I know a zipper isn't a latch, but it qualifies.) There is no "3 step" rule which is a misconception I seem to hear about at least once a week, and whether the pistol is loaded or unloaded also does not matter.

Long guns and shotguns are fair game anywhere in the vehicle. Driving with an AR-15 sitting upright on the passenger seat may not be the brightest idea as it invites unwanted attention from others and invites being stopped by police, but it is not illegal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015