close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reedsburg police Facebook page stirs controversy

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TBO, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Hmm, maybe people shouldn't do stupid **** that gets them arrested?

3. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

My local sheriff's department recently stopped posting mug shots of jail inmates on their website because a robbery suspect recently got out of his charges when his accused victim admitted to looking at the perp's mug shot online before picking him out of a photo lineup.

4. tsmo1066

tsmo1066 Happy Smiley

Many people here have voiced concern over some newspapers that have posted lists of the names of CHL holders. I don't see this as being much different.

Just because something is a public record does not mean that it is necessarily wise or responsible to broadcast it to the world.

Would people here agree with a state agency posting their concealed handgun license application pictures, along with their names and addresses on Facebook?

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I don't believe this should be allowed. Of course perp walks, releasing mug shot before someone is convicted, and showing people on TV is jail garb during their arrangement is for one purpose only: Public Humiliation of the suspect. The link even said that the police department had someone call and ask to pay a fine because of the public humiliation. In fact the spokesperson for the PD (Becker) said without the public humiliation, they couldn’t get such good “compliance” of paying fines. Essentially, it is plead guilty to avoid public humiliation.

If someone posted something about the PD or an officer (let’s say the officers home address) that they wanted something (for example a lawsuit settlement ) before they took it off the internet it would be:
     
    ex•tor•tion
    the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority.

But I question the motive of this initial posting??

-Dana

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Agree

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

I'm not seeing the equivalence of outing someone who's engaged in a wholly legal and private activity and reporting on someone who's charged with a crime.

8. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

No. We're the good guys, they are the bad guys. IT's that simple, right? :rofl:

Agree 100%. Arrestees are entitled to NOT be publicly humiliated by the dept and someone might file suit for something or, like stated above, get off scott-free b/c the wit saw the mugshot prior.

Plenty of time to post after conviction.

9. rockapede

rockapede

Is it extortion to arrest someone on a warrant and put them in jail if they don't pay the fines the court has levied for the crime the person was convicted of?

10. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Whats the difference between the new releasing a shot of a person vs it being on the web page? My local dept doesn't put photos up but does a damn good job of listing road closings and major incidents to keep people aware and away.

11. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Its one in the same and the intent is exactly the same. Trial by public opinion.

-Dana

12. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

This.

13. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Then maybe you and others should contact your lawmakers and consider asking for a law to make release of information like that illegal. Right now the police have NO CHOICE but to release the information to the media, I guess the department figured it's easier to do it once then to have to do it for every media outlet.

14. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

as per sticky , LEO STUFF goes in their forum not gng . according to mods

15. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

So no press releases? What about the name of the person arrested? Is that still "trial by public opinion"?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the persons name and/or image being posted in the paper, on the news or on a FB page.

16. berto62

berto62

our local newspaper has a website just for this. you can see a picture of everyone in the county jail. They get an update every two hours and let you know what is the most viewed mug shot.this is the one from today

[​IMG]:rofl::rofl:

See more here
    http://www.mugshotsgainesville.com/

17. mj9mm

mj9mm

this practice probably won't last, innocent until convicted:whistling:

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

And secret trials up until a guilty verdict is released...

Fact is, the public has both a right and a need to know who the state is holding in its custody. The state being transparent about who it has and why is an extemely important part of an open justice system.

Yeah, I support the whole idea of shame as a deterrent to bad behavior, and I think that it's a pity that so many people now lack a proper sense of shame. But more than that, the need for an open and accessible justice system. Going down the slippery slope to people who disappear into secret trials and secret cells is not good.

19. Goat 36

Goat 36

1 of many examples of how this is ridiculous.

If A: Police officers are human.

and B: Humans make mistakes.

Then C: Police officers make mistakes.

Therefore, if there is even the 'slightest' chance that any ONE of these people have been wrongfully/mistakenly arrested/charged (I've clearly proven there is.), then this is tantamount to 'Character Assassination' no matter what they want to call it or what excuse they make for it.

char·ac·ter as·sas·si·na·tion

Noun:The malicious and unjustified harming of a person's good reputation.

People are wrongfully arrested every single day. If a female calls the police and accuses 'any' man of rape/assault, etc., that man is arrested. Period. Only later does the full truth come out.

Once you post somebody's picture on the WORLD wide web and label them a criminal, there is no taking that back.

It's just like High School rumors. If you start a rumor, true or not, it spreads like wildfire and destroys people regardless of their guilt or innocence.

Those of you who can't or refuse to see the simple logic in this are blind or refuse to take your blinders off due to 'whatever' you have invested in it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  20. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

Hillsborough County Florida has their own site that has all the mug shots. Pretty sure they are booking photos and NOT post conviction photos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.