close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Red Dot's?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by musclegto, Jan 30, 2013.

1. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    Picking out a scope, I was leaning towards a red dot sight for about $250. I took a look at a Burris fast fire red dot today and was not too impressed with the red "dot", seemed more like a blob to me. Also, the sight was tiny, looked like it could be knocked off easily. This is the other one I was looking at

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Burris-SpeedDot-Sights-Weaver-Style-Mounting/dp/B000MM2R2A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1359602053&sr=8-3&keywords=burris+red+dot"]Amazon.com: Burris SpeedDot 135 1 x 35mm Red Dot Sights with Weaver-Style Mounting Rings: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Yil4Di8rL.@@AMEPARAM@@41Yil4Di8rL[/ame]

Any advice is welcome, can't wait to have this baby ready...

2. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    Waco, Texas
    Wait a little longer and save up for an Aimpoint. Only $400.

But first ask what your plans are for the sight?

Sent from my Federation issued communicator.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat

Jun 17, 2009
    Midwest
    I have 3 Aimpoint Micros. The are small, hints the name. I also have a Trjicon RMR. They are extremely sturdy and robust. Size has nothing to do w/ it.

The Burris seems less sturdy because it is. It has nothing to do w/ size though.

4. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Aimpoint PRO. You will want to kick yourself in the face if you buy that Burris for 2 bills when you are halfway to an Aimpoint.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Feb 8, 2009
    JAX, FL
    I like my aimpoint pro. Its easy for me to catch the dot when your shouldering whatever you deside to mount it on.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    I have to admit $400 plus for a sight kind of hurts thinking about, but maybe it will be worth the investment. I will mostly be doing range shooting, however I would like to sighted for longer distances.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Save the extra money, buy an Aimpoint PRO. If you catch them on sale, they can be had for as low as $370.

8. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I would save for the Aimpoint PRO as well. I'm really happy with mine.

What distances you wanting to shoot at?

9. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Save for the Aimpoint but here is a good cheaper option

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDp-EvgnC94"]Vortex StrikeFire Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oQg1p1UPFY"]Vortex Strikefire: "$135 Aimpoint?" by Nutnfancy - YouTube[/ame]

:50cal:

10. COLOSHOOTR

COLOSHOOTR

Sep 29, 2005
    Colorado
    I used to think cheap too as I'm not made of money either but the buy once cry once saying is true..... That $400+ RDS will run forever and you will be 100% satisfied with it. If you go cheap chances are you'll be buying another within a few year bringing you up to the point you could have bought an aimpoint anyway. I bought one of those sub $200 sights before for my plinker gun and it ended up being replaced in about 8months (I hardly shoot that rifle too). The work rifle has a EoTech on it and I've never had an issue. Optics are one thing you should not go cheap with especially if you plan on running it hard or using it for self/home defense.

If you think $400 is bad I shoot long range precision rifles and most the scopes you see in comps in the long range game run between $2,000-$3500. I have $2400 in optics / mounts on my stick and I'm at the bottom end of the acceptable quality scale.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  11. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Another vote for the Aimpoint Pro. I've had mine around two years and love it. Dead reliable and awesome battery life. Nice clear glass with solid circle. It cost more than the Vortex but your getting what you pay for.

But if it's just a range gun then the cheaper sight is fine. But if you intend to use it for SD/HD I'd spend the money on an Aimpoint. If you do decide on a cheaper one the Vortex Sparc is pretty good. A buddy got one and it has a nice clear dot, t's the usability that suffers with the buttons, reliability, and the battery life that you give up.

12. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
    Any chance you have an Astigmatism in your eyes? That is a common issue w/ "red dots". TO ME, the EoTechs are unusable, while the Aimpoints are fine.

13. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    You can spend $400 on an optic or you can just throw $200 away on nothing.

14. K. Foster

K. Foster

Feb 19, 2002
    Mo.
    This is exactly right.

15. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    +1 Saving for the Pro is the best thing you can do.

If you absolutely do not want to spend that kind of money, look into either the Vortex Strikefire or Vortex Sparc. Those are both great red dots.

16. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    Well you guys convinced me, picking up an aimpoint pro patrol :)

17. bmoore

bmoore

Jan 15, 2006
    Under a regime.
    Awesome, you will be happy and it will last for a very long time.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    For purely range purposes, a Primary Arms, Burris, etc will do fine.

However, you're blowing half of what you'd spend on an Aimpoint, which has a constant-on runtime of YEARS and will survive everything up to and including being blown up.

19. musclegto

musclegto

Nov 14, 2012
    now Im thinking of getting the aimpro Micro. $600 is going to hurt the pocket, but heck, its the scope I really want.

20. bcgst5

bcgst5

Jan 29, 2013
    I have both the PRO and Micro T1 and while the PRO is a mighty fine optic, the T1 is awesome in my opinion. It'll hurt the wallet but trust me, you get what you pay for.