close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Red Dot question

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by detroit9mm, Dec 25, 2012.

1. detroit9mm

detroit9mm

Mar 17, 2008
    I just got my first AR and I have a question regarding the use of a red dot. It is currently set up with the regular front sight and a magpul flip up rear. I am considering going with a Bushnell TRS25 red dot sight. Gun is just for fun so don't want to spend a bundle on a high end optic. My question is will I need a riser to use the red dot? I would like to be ale to use the irons thru the optic if needed. Thanks!

2. Glock21Owner

Glock21Owner NRA Life Member

Dec 27, 2001
    Isle of Lucy
    You will only need a riser if you want the sights to match up with, or "co-witness" the red dot. The co-witnessed red dot will give you a reference as to how your sights are aligned.

3. detroit9mm

detroit9mm

Mar 17, 2008
    I'm not concerned that they co-witness. My only thought was that without riser the dot may be below the top of the front sight and the post would obscure the target since the front isn't a flip up. Maybe that isn't the case at all and that's why I decided to ask the question.

4. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
  5. majette

majette

May 1, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    yes, you will need a riser. oops, mvician beat me to it.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  6. detroit9mm

detroit9mm

Mar 17, 2008
    Ok, is the 1" riser the best choice for whatim looking for? I'd still like to be able to use the irons thru the optics if needed.

7. mvician

mvician Lifetime Member

Jun 8, 2007
    NW Indiana
    Yes, it is the same riser that Primary Arms sells with their fixed base micro dot.
    It will give you lower 1/3 cowitness.

[​IMG]

8. detroit9mm

detroit9mm

Mar 17, 2008
    Thank you sir, the exact info I was looking for!