close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Red Dot on Your Carry Glock

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by jamaicanj, May 6, 2011.

1. jamaicanj

jamaicanj
    Expand Collapse

Good Day

Checking to see if anyone has tried out a red dot sight on their carry Glock.

-How do you like it?
    -Which brand?
    -How did you install it...milled slide??
    -Did you add suppressor sights to co-witness?
    -How is it at the range...chasing the dot?
    -How is it when used with a tactical light (x300 for example)...does the dot get washed out.

Your input is appreciated

All the best

J

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Scott3670

Scott3670
    Expand Collapse

Interesting question - and I'm looking forward to the responses.

3. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

I certainly would like to try one of those mini ones first.

#3 TangoFoxtrot, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  4. bentbiker

bentbiker
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

If you are contemplating an RDS, you should spend some time at http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?205-Red-Dot-Pistols . In the interest of full disclosure, I do not actually carry, as our sheriff believes that only her officers should have the right to carry. But this is what I'd carry if I were deemed worthy.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

I have played with several slide-ride dots and like them ok on race guns. I think they add too much bulk to a carry gun. I like small carry guns though. I never cared for the full-size combat gun and four extra mags thing.

6. District18

District18
    Expand Collapse

I'm curious to here about using these in low light/ no light. I'd love to get one of my guns outfitted but wondering if it's really worth the price. Would it help longer range shooting in conjunction with say .357 sig pistols?

7. GRT45

GRT45
    Expand Collapse
    Transform & Win

The relatively flat trajectory of the .357 Sig is an excellent match with an RDS optic for longer range pistol shooting. Head shots at 100 yds. can be made with amazing regularity and torso shots out to 200 yds. are very possible.

Given the right choice of an RDS optic, lighting conditions varying from bright desert sun to night vision illumination can be accommodated. The adjustable Trijicon RMR RM07 (6.5 MOA) can cover that range of lighting conditions.

#7 GRT45, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  8. jamaicanj

jamaicanj
    Expand Collapse

My g17 slide with rmr and suppressor sights is on its way back from Mark Housel. I'll be certain to update you all when I get it

9. troysglock

troysglock
    Expand Collapse

Could those take the slide beating and function properly? And are they necessary for typical handgun range defense situations?

10. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux
    Expand Collapse
    Shut your mouth

I think the micro RDS will be pretty common on fighting guns in the future.

11. silversport

silversport
    Expand Collapse

bentbiker said it and gave excellent advice...I am loving mine after I had the red dot sighted in...One Source Tactical did mine (recently lowered their prices) and I also use the Trijicon RMR (RM07 adjustable LED 6.5 dot)... warriortalk.com for all your questions...the most feedback in one place...

I prefer the adjustable over the RM02 (LED 8.0 dot) I have on my FNP-45Tactical...

...just remember to look through the window to your target and you won't be chasing the dot...an added benefit will be that the red dot will reveal your trigger control...it won't cause it but it will show it...enjoy!

GLOCK 17...sent to OST for their slide milling and suppressor sights (these come on the package now instead of as an option when I ordered mine)...Trijicon RMR (the best there is right now) and the slide was given CPII from CCR (advertises on this forum)...OST now also offers their Aqua Terra finish (wasn't offered when I ordered mine)...

[​IMG]

Bill

#11 silversport, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  12. Chonny

Chonny
    Expand Collapse

Sweet G17!!

13. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

Tagged!

14. John Eastwood

John Eastwood
    Expand Collapse

On my G17 with Burris Fastfire mounted via SJC mini scope mount to the frame, I could never train myself well enough (well, didn't take the time I have to say) to locate the dot quick enough. I spent too much time chasing the dot.

In quick 2-shot/2-second drills from the holster it just wasn't happening for me. The dot did not show up in darkness at all. These are my first-hand experiences. Excellent for gun games and if you want to take the time to re-train yourself, go for it.

15. Officer's Match

Officer's Match
    Expand Collapse
    S.R.D. v

Umm, why am I getting that "everything has just changed/why-oh-why did I look in this thread" feeling?

16. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

17. girphoto

girphoto
    Expand Collapse

Well, I say that using the Red Dot Sight system, takes just a lithe time to get use to.
    I think I can talk on the subject since I have 5 guns using red dot systems.
    I will say that these guns are used for competition and are NOT carry guns.
    Although the red dot is fast to get on target, there are certain concepts to keep in mind.
    The Docter Sight.....HAS NO ON/OFF SWITCH AND TURNS OFF WITH LITTLE CAP ON TOP. Not a great idea if your life depends on it. cover falls off and the sight is ON until the battery dies. But for competition I think is great.

The Burris Fast Fire II ....HAS AN ON/OFF SWITCH, BUT THE LITTLE SWITCH SEEMS TO ALWAYS GO ON. GREAT FOR COMPETITION, IMHO NOT FOR CARRY.

C-More........ FOR COMPETITION ONLY... (THIS IS NOT THE STS)

In the normal everyday carry, I find that it would be adding bulk and printing to the carry gun.
    But if you want to use a red dot, I suggest that you have the slide custom cut and the best for the job is Glockworx (they have done two for me).

They do not shake loose and are great as long as the battery does not die.
    Happy Holidays
    Gary
    Photos:

THE CUSTOM CUT SLIDE IN THE RAW (BEFORE RE0FINISHING)

[​IMG]

MY G34 GEN 3 RACE GUN WITH DOCTER RED DOT SIGHT

[​IMG]

MY G17 WITH BURRIS FAST FIRE II

[​IMG]

MY FRANKENGLOCK-22 WITH BURRIS FAST FIRE II IN A BURRIS ON TOP MOUNT

[​IMG]

MY NON GLOCK RACE GUN IN 38SUPER-MAJOR WITH C-MORE

[​IMG]

MY NON-GLOCK RUGER MARK III WITH C-MORE

[​IMG]

#17 girphoto, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  18. tango44

tango44
    Expand Collapse

Fellow members I'm a big fan of the G19 and it's my EDC, I have a second one and will love a red dot on it, I have no experience with this sights but I tried my brothers G17 last week end and I love it!

Please recommend and give me all the info regarding this awesome accessorie and what to get for my G19.

Thank you.

19. arushus

arushus
    Expand Collapse
    Biggest Member

Is there any red dots out there that dont require re-milling the slide? Id really like a red dot sight, but Id also like to be able to take it back to stock if need be...

20. girphoto

girphoto
    Expand Collapse

Please don't misunderstand, All red dot sights can be mounted in the rear sight cut. Look at my photo of the Frankenglock, the Burris Fast Fire II is mounted on a Burris mount (about $49.00) and put into the rear sight dovetail.

When you want to go back to sights just remove the mount and put your sight back in.

If you have the cut done by Glockworx, they can make a plate with the rear sight mounted on it and the only thing that you have to do is unscrew the red dot sight and replace with the plate with the rear sight mounted on it.

Hope this helps.