close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

recrown rifle barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Mongosafari, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

I got an AR15 upper in trade a few years ago with a little "ding" right on the muzzle crown. I saw this and planned to someday have it recrowned by a gunsmith. Accuracy suffers (I assume) because of the "ding".

Brownells has a hand tool to cut an 11 degree crown in the muzzle. For not too much money.

or

Remove the barrel from the upper and ship it to a gunsmith with a lathe to do the job. I hate having parts laying around for a couple of weeks.

I also have an older Westernfield 22 WMR that would probably benefit from a crown job too with the hand crowning tool.

2. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I've recrowned a few barrels and when done correctly, it can seriously improve accuracy.

I've seen the tool you mentioned and if I needed one, I'd buy it.

I've used a variety of dremel tools and a low speed drill with lapping compound.

The first one I did took three tries, but after that, I was good to go.

I even did a video on recrowning an airgun barrel a few years ago. It's on Google Video under the search terms I love Airguns. Airgun barrels are much softer steel than firearms so they make it look easy in the video. I took some guff from gunsmiths for my techniques, but I can't argue with success.

I did not do a video on a firearms barrel mostly because at the time I had very accurate rifles that did not need me fooling with them. I wish I still had a pro video camera, I have a second 1022 now that is not nearly as accurate as it should be and the crown looks imperfect.

3. I had an aftermarket 357SIG barrel with a ding. Long range accuracy was not a big concern so I made a simple tool. I brazed a round ball bearing to a steel rod. I tried it be hand but geez it was going to take a long time. Put it in a drill with lapping compound and had it done in ten minutes. May not be uniform enough for some but I can can't visually find a problem with it.

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  5. Mongosafari

I'm thinking it is just larger than I want to use a brass lap and 600 grit compound to polish out.

Thanks for the responces.

I'll be getting the 11 degree cutter with interchangable brass pilots. I need to measure the 22 WMR to get the right pilot: .213" or .215"

If I need it later add another caliber pilot. Just go slow and a little at a time. I can easily swap out the AR-15 barrel but if I can save two barrels for around a hundred bucks, I'm that far ahead.

6. Andrewsky

Andrewsky

May 28, 2004
    Adco is pretty highly thought-of in the realm of AR-15 barrels.

7. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Jul 28, 2002
    Moving Target
    I have used the Brownells cuters with good results. Make sure you use a good cutting oil with the tools, especially if you use power tools. Also, don't go too fast.

8. Mongosafari

I don't plan on using power tools for the cutting.

Do you also use the brass lap/compound after cutting or just the 11 degree cutter and that's it?

9. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Jul 28, 2002
    Moving Target
    Actually, you'll get better results using a battery powered drill than just doing it by hand. You can't keep the pressure constant through a full circle. But try it, you'll see what I mean. I always cut and then lap. Use a little Clover compound.

10. Mongosafari

That is what I was curious about. Both (cutting and lapping) need to be done for a complete crown job.

I didn't phrase it correctly; the 11 degree cutter will be by hand and the brass/compound lapping would be using a small electric drill.

Thank you very much for your response.