close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recommendations for 1st Shotty...

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by Sampo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sampo

Sampo

Sep 21, 2008
    NC
    In the market for my first shotgun and I have no idea where to start... I've heard and read about both the Mossburg 500 and Remington 870 series and find that they are both solid platforms...other than that, not really sure what else to look for.

I know I want it to be a 12gauge, and I would like to be able to put a pistol grip with full stock on it. I will be mainly used at the range and as HD. Not sure how the length of the shell translates into cost of ammo, but I would like to be able to buy a full range of ammo (cheap ammo for range/quality ammo for HD). Also I'm a fan of the "underdog" brands of firearms, so feel free to throw those in the mix.

2. Don't put a pistol grip on it. Having said that, either will work. I've had them both and would go with an 870, but that is habit and experience as much as anything else.

3. mixflip

mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    My Mossberg Maverick 88 was only $199 and it takes all the 500 upgrade parts. Its a good starter shotgun for range fun and home defense. Its got dual action bars and dual extractors and it even has a "behind the trigger" safety so it will work better with a pistol grip stock vs the tang mounted safety on the 500/590 models.

[​IMG]

Now if you have a little extra money, I'd go with the Remington 870 just because the fit and finish is great! It feels like quality. Or the Mossberg 590A1 because I like the heavy/thicker parts, ext mag tube, metal trigger guard and the infamous "bayonet" mount for SHTF fun vs the 500.

I am actually selling this shotgun to finance a Mossberg 590 or a Remington 870 myself lol. Right now I am leaning towards the 590A1...but that could change come shopping day?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  4. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    Look at the Remington model 25077. It is all one needs. All the other stuff is fine, but not needed. I know that sounds funny from somone that makes a good living from "the other stuff" but truth is truth no matter who states it. The other stuff is nice to have if the wallet agrees.

5. I am about to take the plunge into the shotgun market. The shotgun I decided on was the Remington 887 tactical nitromag. It's a pump action but half what a Remington 1100 goes for. I wasn't impressed with the Mossberg. I'm waiting for my FFL to get the ones he ordered in to handle it and make a final decision.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>

6. Sampo

Sampo

Sep 21, 2008
    NC
    Wally World has the Mossy 500 for $227 and the Rem 870 for $287 in my area...are those prices pretty average/reasonable? Both have wood stocks (or wood like...).

7. The tang safety on the Mossberg makes it a PITA to operate with any pistol grip. You just can't get your thumb up to it while maintaining a grip on the gun.

The advantage to the tang safety on the Mossberg 500 is that it is very easy to use with either hand.

I have 3 Mossberg 500's and 1 Remington 870. That's not because I think the Mossberg is a superior shotgun, but mostly because I have 1 son that is left handed and 1 that is right handed but who can also shoot just as well left handed.

Now a co-worker of mine recently had his adult daughter move back in with him. Both he and his wife are former Army enlisted and comfortable around firearms, but they never owned any. Daughters ex-husband is being a real pain and has made verbal threats as well as posting what he wants to do to his ex wife on his Facebook page. My co-worker decided he needed a firearm for home protection and wanted something both his wife and daughter could use. He purchased a Mossberg 500 20 Ga Bantam model shotgun. He has taken it to the range and shot it a couple of times now. Just the other day he got the opportunity to handle a Remington 870 20 ga shotgun. His comment to me was "I wish I would have bought the 870 instead"

I think that says a lot about the fit, finish, and feel of the 2 guns as they leave the factory. In my experience the 500's smooth out quite a bit after time, but on initial feel the 870's are much smoother.

Anyhow long winded answer, short answer is that either the Mossberg 500 or the Remington 870 will work fine for home defense. I'd also recommend you take a look at the Benelli Nova.

8. das9mm26

das9mm26

Oct 27, 2009
    WOW!!!
    I paid $227 for my Moss 500 at Wally..but they were asking >$400 for the Rem 870!!
    Went with the Moss...although I owned an 870P many years ago (had to sell - financial situation......hated to part with it!!).

9. :embarassed: THREE words....Remington 870 basic.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. akgunnut

akgunnut

Feb 17, 2007
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

Remington 870

Taking down bad guys and birds since 1950!:whistling:

11. glockmancustom32

glockmancustom32 ~Guns pick me!~

Jul 9, 2009
    Utah

+1 agreed:cool:

12. aippi

aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    AKgunnut - that is our exact issued duty weapon and seeing the pic you posted makes me want one for old times sake. I will built one when I get caught up and it will be mine. Great weapon and keeps with my adivce to all of Keep it basic.

13. B Coyote

B Coyote

Jul 3, 2001
    NW Indiana
    I was a Mossberg fan until I bought an 870.

bc

14. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

Aug 21, 1999
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Since it's your first shotgun, here's my advise. Don't go into the gunshop and ask to see a shotty, Mossy, or Remmy. If you do they will laugh at you and probably think you are gay. :pjmn:

Real men and most boys over the age of 14 do not call their shotguns "a shotty" in casual he-man gun talking conversation, why do it here. :upeyes: Don't mean to offend, but someday you will thank me for this advise.

15. Sampo

Sampo

Sep 21, 2008
    NC
    Enlighten me, what else goes during these he-man conversations? Do you pound on your chest, burp, scratch inappropriate areas? Thanks for not contributing anything useful... :upeyes:

Thanks, but no thanks, keep the crappy advise.

16. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    get a turkey gun with choke tubes, or a spare barrel with choke tubes. either way works, but buying a shotgun that ISN'T ABLE to take them is ignoring cheap field ammo and cheap training.

How many times do you want to shoot buckshot at the range? It gets old fast. And pricey.

I'd like to have every SD shotgun that's over 5 years old and hasn't made it to the second box of shells yet.

It'd be a lot of 'em.

17. For home defense I have my Glocks but If I need a shotgun I have the 870 express with 18" Barrel, Cyl Bore, 2 shot extension. For the range I love to shot my Mossberg 930 SPX.

18. On the contrary, it's really, really good advise!!!! It's a SHOTGUN. You're considering buying a Mossberg Shotgun or a Remington Shotgun.

Do you describe things as hooziebuggers, thing-a-muh-jiggers, thingies etc.????:tongueout:

19. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Unless it's for a girl, it's a shotgun or a 12 gauge, not a "shottie". Can't go wrong with a basic Remington or Mossberg. Now, please excuse me while I polish my shottie while sitting with a blankie, typing on my lappie, sucking on my binkie. Not. :)