close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recommend me a mobo

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by gwalchmai, Mar 31, 2010.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    I need a box to play with Win 2008 Server (x64). I have an ATX case, but I need a mobo/CPU. Socket 775 w/4GB RAM probably unless you think something better. I'd like to stay (well) under $500.

Thanks!

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    I would find an ASUS or MSI board that meets that criteria. Those are the only two boards I'll use, and they've all outlived the useful life of the computer.

Just go putz around on Newegg and Tigedirect and look at motherboard/cpu combos. I would recommend you get a combo that has the stock Intel fan.

What's the server gonna do? That makes a difference also...

IGF

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Outside the perimeter
    It will have several uses - I'll use it to learn Server 2k8, it will be used as a file server to backup some of our laptops (probably around 200GB of storage), it'll run an FTP server, and it'll run DFS to replicate data from another server. So it'll do a lot of backup functions but won't stop us if it's down for a bit from time to time.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    OK.. so we're not talking like a heavy game server or something like that...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5699706&CatId=1599

Here's a bit more about the processor...
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42805

5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

Jan 19, 2009
    Arlington, VA
    you need a board that supports USB 3.0