close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend me a digital scale

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by bjesse60, Aug 24, 2010.

1. bjesse60

bjesse60

Aug 7, 2008
    KY
    I am new to reloading and still need to pick up a digital scale, can you guys recommend me one. I am not trying to spend alot, so as long as it does the job I don't need all the bells & whistles. Thank's :cool:

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    If your gonna go cheap, don't bother with a digital. Stick with a reputable, Dillon or RCBS beam scale.

Otherwise... I use and recommend the Dillon D-Terminator. It's a great scale.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Agree w/ Boxer... What is your budget? If it's less than 90-100.. I'd stick w/ a quality beam.

IGF

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    And I'll confirm what Boxer and IGF stated. A "cheap" digital will give you nothing but trouble and frustration, besides being unreliable. A quality beam scale will be much more affordable, lasts you a lifetime and won't die on you due to battery failure.

5. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    What battery?

6. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    I've been using a Lyman digital that was around $100...and I don't trust it. I'm going to end up buying a beam scale...probably the Dillon.

7. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    The battery that would power a digital....:whistling:

8. at_liberty

at_liberty

Jun 19, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Hornady has a couple quite inexpensive models. If I was going to have problems, I would feel good about dealing with Hornady. I have seen them in MidwayUSA. For a bit more to get a power supply, I bought the PACT BBKII from Midway and have done well so far, but my cheaper Frankford Arsenal that so many said was such a terrible choice gives the same answers. When in doubt, I use a Lee balance beam that is quite accurate according to the check weights and cross verifications with other scales. I developed skill with it very quickly but am old enough to know how to deal with such primitive things, including slide rules and typewriters, manual drafting, and all that sort of dinosaur stuff. I even have a pistol with no plastic on it that I know of.:cool:

9. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I sent a $35.00 Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale back to Midway last week.

It had a LOT of serious design flaws.

1. The switch sequence to change into the correct mode to weigh powder had to be done for every charge I weighed (zero the scale, put it in the mode to weigh, and select the unit of measure --- every time).
    2. The buttons presses to switch modes did not work reliably and I ended up pressing the button over a dozen times on occassion.
    3. The little crucible they supplied for weighing things had a rough finish and the powder stuck to it.
    Thank goodness for Midways return policy.

10. bjesse60

bjesse60

Aug 7, 2008
    KY
    Thank's guys I was going to try not to spend much more than $100 but seems I may be better of with a beam scale, is one brand of these better than the other and why? Thank's

11. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Dillon's Eliminator and RCBS 505, are probably the two best beam scales(IMO)... with Dillon probably being the best bang for the buck scale there is. Both also have a lifetime warranty should anything ever happen to them.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/co.../7/Dillon__039_s___039_Eliminator__039__Scale

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
  13. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    FWIW, I've had good luck with the Dillon D-Terminator (outlet or batteries). I'm quite confident in it, but still like to be able run occasional checks with my beam scale.

14. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    That is what they make check weights for. If the beam scale and digital reads different how do you know which one is right with out the check weights?

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    Well, I have a Franklin Arsenal digital and the Dillon Beam. The Dillon Beam is easy to use and accurate with check weights. The FA scale never reads the same thing twice in two minutes so it's kinda pointless to try.

16. unclebob

unclebob

Oct 14, 2000
    Mary Esther FL
    The RCBS Powder Pro scale that I have been using for about 15 years now. Have been dead on with the check weights. I had an Ohaus Dial A Grain scale that was all over the place.
    I have a friend that thought his beam scale was right and his Dillon digital was wrong. It was the other way around.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    The new ones are first class. Dillon replaced my 1st gen one for $80 & it's been flawless for 3yrs now. The RCBS is getting good reviews. I just don't think you can get a decent dig scale for less than $100-$140, but maybe Lee will come up w/ one.:whistling:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  18. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Nov 2, 2006
    CO
    I bet the Dillon is no better in quality then some of those scales over at Old Will Knott. Dillon has their scales made overseas. It slaps it's name on another persons product and gives it a 1 year warranty.

19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    I have the RCBS 5 0 5 scale. I looked it up. It's an $75.00 dollar scale at Midway now.
    Maybe there isn't much point in replacing it with a digital scale after all.

Before I sent the Hornady GS-1500 Electronic Powder Scale back to Midway, I compared the RCBS 5 0 5 scale measurements to it and they looked fine. Not bad for a twenty five year old scale.

20. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I don't doubt that, but the D-Term doesn't appear under any other name I am aware of. It does work, flawlessly too, & though it has only a 1yr warranty, the will replace it for 1/2 after that. The first one I had for about 10yrs & it started losing zero. So $75-$80 for a new one that works, beats $35 for a FA that does not.:supergrin: