Glock Talk banner

Recommend me a deer rifle for $400.

8K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Rick O'Shay 
#1 ·
Trying to help a buddy out. $400 is his budget. I don't even know where to begin. My deer rifle is an old family heirloom that a friend of the family built. Im looking to get a nice rifle but I'm looking at some that are a little more than 400$. He's looking at Mossberg 4x4. I don't think he can get a Rem 700 for under $500 so that's kind of out. Anyways, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#2 ·
You can get an entry level rem 700 for that, but it's not the rifle that made the 700 name what it is... I'd buy a nice used rifle, and they can certainly be found for that price... You can get solid lever guns for that easily, and if he wants a bolt gun then look for the non-magnum calibers if buying used to prevent buying a rifle with barrel throat fatigue from an untold number of rounds fired and incompetent barrel maintenance...

#4 · (Edited)
Mossberg, Marlin, Savage and Remington all have good guns in that range. Tell him if he goes Remington, to go with an ADL or SPS. (God forbid, don't let him get the 770). Not too far out of his price range is the Weatherby Vanguard S2 that has a 1" guarantee. Also Tikka isn't too far out either.

#7 · (Edited)
(God forbid, don't let him get the 770).

I did tell him to avoid the 770.

I think he found a ADL in this $ range at Academy. I thought these were carried by the "big boxes" only? I don't like to buy from these places, especially Academy, so I'll try to get him to go elsewhere. However, it seems like the LGS prices are getting higher everyday.

Would you go with the Vanguard S2 over the 700 ADL? He's narrowed it down to .308, 30-06 or .270.

#12 ·
I did tell him to avoid the 770.

I think he found a ADL in this $ range at Academy. I thought these were carried by the "big boxes" only? I don't like to buy from these places, especially Academy, so I'll try to get him to go elsewhere. However, it seems like the LGS prices are getting higher everyday.

Would you go with the Vanguard S2 over the 700 ADL? He's narrowed it down to .308, 30-06 or .270.
Watch out for Academy. They advertise ADL's, but when you get there, they are SPS's.

#14 ·
go to some pawn shops, you can find nice guns for that much and less....
I have to disagree. Most pawn shop guns are used with new price tags. And when you ask for bottom dollar, cash OTD price, they usually just deduct the sales tax.

#16 ·
Go with one of these 2 options for sure. My first option for sure is to get on gunbroker and search for Remington ADL bolt action rifles. They don't make them new anymore but there are still many of them that dealers still have in stock that arewe rand new. It's what I did, and I found a Remington 700 ADL 7mm magnum for 380, which is a hell of a deal. I just did this same search 2 days ago and there are several of these brand new 700 Remington's on there. Particularly in 30-06, but there are others as well. Those 700 ADL's you can find for 400 or under and they are just as good as any 700 Remington, which makes it as good as any production rifle made. Not a lot of people at all think to do this because it they did these guns would be all gone! By all means do this! If for some reason you don't do this the second best option by far is to get a Ruger American Rifle. Great rifle for the price!

#18 ·
Can't go wrong with a H&R/NEF Ultra Slug Hunter. 24 or 28" (I believe) rifled barrel for sabot slugs with sight and scope mount. Very accurate. Less than $200 used at any LGS or pawn shop. Even cheaper? Pardner Tracker (cylinder bore) or Tracker II (rifled) for slugs... also with sights and scope mount. He can use the rest of the money on new gear or ammo. Both shotguns come in 12 or 20 gauge per preference. Single shots. They'll teach you to hit the deer the first time, and not rely on a second shot IMO.

G19 - Gen 3
G37 - Gen 3
NEF Pardner SBI 12 Ga.
Savage Model 24 - .22LR/410

#19 ·
I have to disagree. Most pawn shop guns are used with new price tags. And when you ask for bottom dollar, cash OTD price, they usually just deduct the sales tax.
this is true if youre dealing with the only shop in town. if there is more than one pawn shop in the area that sells guns and you cant jew them down a bit you need to have somebody else do your negotiations.

pawn shops hate to see cash walk out of the door. not the talk of cash, not the old farts that come in and want to handle all the guns, tell lies, drink coffee and not buy a damn thing; but the real deal folks who come in and actually buy, the brokers know who you are and will work with you because they know youre not a bullscatter, youre a buyer.

#20 ·
This new Ruger has outstanding reviews:

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

I saw an episode of Gun Talk TV where they were doing some long range shooting with this rifle in 30-06 and getting excellent results out to 500 yards. I was looking at the new Ruger Scout rifle but will now look for one of these in .308 instead.

I've seen them on sale new in box for $350 at Cabelas. I'd expect you will find them on sale again closer to hunting season.

#21 · (Edited)
I hate pawn shops. My experience has been the folks working there don't know their .... from their ..... And the prices for the used guns are more than they cost new and they won't come down. I don't get it? Who the hell are they selling this crap to. Ive seen very used glock 17's for $560 and they won't come down from that. F pawn shops!

Let me tell you how I really feel....... Ha ha ha.

Though I should add I know not all PS are this way and that some who work at them aren't complete idiots.

#26 ·
Go with one of these 2 options for sure. My first option for sure is to get on gunbroker and search for Remington ADL bolt action rifles. They don't make them new anymore but there are still many of them that dealers still have in stock that arewe rand new. It's what I did, and I found a Remington 700 ADL 7mm magnum for 380, which is a hell of a deal. I just did this same search 2 days ago and there are several of these brand new 700 Remington's on there. Particularly in 30-06, but there are others as well. Those 700 ADL's you can find for 400 or under and they are just as good as any 700 Remington, which makes it as good as any production rifle made. Not a lot of people at all think to do this because it they did these guns would be all gone! By all means do this! If for some reason you don't do this the second best option by far is to get a Ruger American Rifle. Great rifle for the price!
Bingo! When I found out they were going to discontinue the ADL for the SPS, Wal-Mart started damn near near giving them away. Bought the ADL in 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06, (2) .243's and passed on a 300 Win Mag like an idiot. Got them all for less than $400 each. Gave one of the .243's to my GF. My .30-06 is the dog of the bunch and shoots anhting you feed it into 1.5" groups all day. The 7 Mag and .243 are total tack drivers. Best groups I've gotten with the .243 average 1/2" at 100 yards and the 7 Mag has spit out several loads into 1/4" groups. :cool: Hell, she shot a 1" group with hers right out of the box and she's not a good shot. She had a 7400 in .30-06 and shot groups that more resembled something a pretty good shotgun might throw, but once she got behind the .243, her groups were looking pretty good. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.