close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recommend An AR Optic

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Pete7072, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Pete7072

Pete7072

Aug 23, 2012
    I have a flat top upper, with flip up Magpul rear sights, and standard front sights. I was always trained with standard Iron sights, but wanted to try out something different..... Looking for some sort of a Red dot optic, without the Eotech prices.... Any recommendations?

2. Tarant

Tarant

Jan 15, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Not sure what the going Eotech price is but Primary Arms red dots are around $100 and seem to be very favorable across the forums. However like everything remotely AR related many of them are unavailable.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013

3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

Mar 1, 2007
    In my shop
    On the cheap???

Primary Arms is the way to go. Mine is still going strong after 2 years.

Or a Burris MTAC and a cheap mount.

4. Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  5. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    Aimpoint is where it's really at. Quality optics cost money.

But if you want to go budget, top runners I would look at:'

Vortex Sparc
    Primary Arms Micro

Most of what will be recommended can be found here:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Sights_s/901.htm

6. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I just got a Primary Arms 30mm red dot in the mail today for my dedicated .22 lr AR. The quality for the price is great. Its every bit as clear as my Aimpoint Pro on my go to AR, and in fact I like the controls better. No the battery life is not going to be nearly as long, you cannot go scuba diving with it, and you can't use it with night vision. For a plinker/hobby gun on budget I think Primary Arms is the way to go.

7. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    I agree.

And that is a great use for one of those sights...mimicking your go-to gun's Aimpoint without the expense for when you do some lite/volume stuff using the more affordabe .22lr. My S&W M&P 15-22 might end up with one in the future

8. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    If you're just experimenting to see what you like, the Primary Arms isn't bad.

If your life will ever possibly depend on it, get an Aimpoint. You get what you pay for in optics.

9. Pete7072

Pete7072

Aug 23, 2012
    Just looking more for an optic that I can dial in, and keep it dialed in. Don't want to be cheap, To pay for an optic that cost more than my upper receiver is crazy. When I went into SWAT school, the instructors told us to take any Television Sets off of our rifles.... Didn't bother me, because I wasn't issued an optic in the military anyway. Wanted to give them a shot now... So consensus is Aimpoint or Primary Arms. Thanks I'll look into them.

10. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Actually, the consensus is Aimpoint. Primary Arms is a good cheap Chinese made 'idea tester' though for 1/6 the price.

The SWAT instructor appears to be stuck in the 80s, but that's nothing new, I'd have personally laughed at him. There's over half a million Aimpoints in service in the Army alone with 10+ years of continous combat time testing them. They're not perfect but they're the best combat optic (unmagnified) for close-medium range work anyone has built yet, and the ACOG's have the longer ranges pretty well covered.

11. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    For cheap go primary arms. For quality on the cheap go Aimpoint Pro. Skip anything in between.

12. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Apr 23, 2011
    Central Texas
    I'm running an Aimpoint Comp M2 on my rifle, and will upgrade to one of their Micro products later this year when I finish the build I'm working in now.

13. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Pete, I've got one of the Primary Arms red dot sights I'm not using if you'd like to give it a try. It looks just like this one:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_MultiReticle_Red_Dot_Sight_PAM3M_p/pam3m.htm

It's got a mount on it as well. I've got no need for it, since I've got an Aimpoint. It always held zero and worked well though. I'll let you have it if you reimburse me for shipping once you get it and check it out.

If you decide to try it and decide you like red dot optics (like I did) and upgrade to an Aimpoint/Eotech, then just give it away to the next guy on GT looking to try one. If you like it and just want to keep it on your gun, then great, I hope it gives you years of good service.

Let me know if you're interested.

14. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

Jul 29, 2004
    If he doesn't take you up on it and you're still willing, I'd like it, but obv. Pete gets dibs.

If it does come to me I promise to pass it on when I upgrade next year.

15. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Alright, you're next in line :wavey:

16. GIG4FUN

GIG4FUN

Jan 13, 2013
    USA
    I put EOTech HHS 1 on my Colt M4 and I think it rocks!

I recommend the system big time ;)

oh, and I put the Magpul rear sight on it as well. It fits just fine on the rail with the HHS 1.

SOORY! I just reread and see you didn't want to pay a lot... (sorry) I still recommend though if you fall into some cash.

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    This sums up my thoughts nicely. The only reason I am getting rid of the AImpoint M2 I have had for almost 4 years is because I want the smaller and lighter T1 Micro.

Yep. Marshall (owner of Primary Arms) is a great person to do business with, and offers a good product for a great price - but they're no Aimpoints.

I'm doing the same thing this month - T1 2MOA to replace my M2.

18. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Hey if I don't hear from Pete by tonight, it's all yours.

19. AtlantaR6

AtlantaR6

Jul 29, 2004
    Fantastic, you're the best!

*secretly crossing fingers his power is out.... *

20. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    What is the prefered dot size, 2moa or 4moa? I want to pick up a T1 in the future.