close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a good tow rope/strap to me please

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Jan 1, 2013.

1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

Last week while I was in Texas, a buddy got his truck stuck in the mud. I realized I don't have a tow rope or strap in my truck.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good, sturdy rope or strap I can get?

I ended up pulling him out with 2 dog collars, and need something made for the task.

Are recovery straps better to use?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Resqu2

Resqu2

Hit any tractor or farm type store, get the kind that's made from webbing with the loops already sewn. I'm not a fan of ropes for task like that.

3. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Comp-330000-Recovery-Strap/dp/B000CN9ZTW"]Amazon.com: Pro Comp 330000 3" x 30' Recovery Strap - 30,000 lb Capacity: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31g%2BYpUTQjL.@@AMEPARAM@@31g%2BYpUTQjL[/ame]

For getting stuck vehicles out you need a recovery strap not a tow strap.

4. Monte4283

Monte4283

As others have said get the recovery strap. I also recommend you always hook the strap to the rear of the truck doing the pulling NOT the front.

Years ago a buddy of mine cut some bushes down and tried pulling the roots out with his Yukon. He hooked to the front hooks in bumper and pulled in reverse. Ended up breaking his transfer case.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

Harbor Freight also carries a pretty nice one of the webbing type with hooks sewn in.

/

6. Steve_G

Steve_G

Unless you have more that a 1 ton truck a 2" wide strap is sufficient, A 3" wide strap is too stiff for light vehicles.

7. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

8. itisbruno

What do you think of something like part number 100432 HERE

Viking Kinetic Recovery / Tow Ropes

Why Choose a Viking Kinetic Recovery Tow Rope over a strap? The Viking Tow Ropes stretch 30% at breaking point which makes them more effective than straps. The high degree of stretch makes the Recovery Ropes extremely effective. The point of a Recovery Rope or Snatch Strap is to provide stretch in a dynamic pull (opposite is true for winchlines in a static pull). The more stretch the more kinetic energy is built up to help move the vehicle, and the less impact on the vehicle itself.

Viking Kinetic Recovery Tow Ropes are made from 100% Premium DuPont™ Nylon Double Braid. Our ropes are dyed black to minimize discoloration when dirty and to maintain better visibility when used in snow and sand. Eyes are protected with heavy duty nylon guards with strength identofied. All our ropes are 100% US made: both fiber and assembly.

When choosing a Tow Rope size, plan the breaking strength to be approximately 3 times the weight of your vehicle. For larger vehicles this number is closer to the weight of the vehicle.

SAFETY NOTE: Do not use Tow Ropes or Tow Straps (kinetic snatch straps etc.) with winches. Never connect ropes / straps end to end with other kinetic ropes / straps with shackles or metal connectors.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAd19Kxf7q8"]Viking Kinetic Rope in Action - YouTube[/ame]

9. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

I've owned 4x4"s for many years and I've pulled countless vehicles (even pushed a couple of semi's up icy entrance ramps) with my vehicles.

These days, the newer vehicles are so delicate and the fascias (front and rear) make it almost impossible to to find a safe place to hook onto the vehicle.

If you're going to attempt pulling someone out of a mud or snow bank, be sure that they hook your strap/rope and discuss the possibility of damage to their vehicle and also keep in mind that you're putting your own vehicle at risk of mechanical or physical damage if something goes wrong.

10. itisbruno

That is true HarleyGuy, tow hooks on vehicles that break off become missles and can kill.

11. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Those are tow ropes not recovery straps and should only be used to move a vesicle that isn't stuck.

12. Tippyman

Tippyman

I go 4x4ing very often, and as stated NO METAL HOOKS! Get a "snatch strap". Basically a big bungee cord, haha. They work wonderfully and you don't get any shock to the rigs when it goes tight. I have an ARB that gets used multiple times a weekend.

Tractor supply has good ones too but don't get the 3" one, it is too big for most suv sized vehicles and won't stretch properly, the two inch one is good.

13. itisbruno

I'm leaning toward the Viking Kinetic Recovery / Tow Rope - anyone have experience with it?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FuE9_XauAc"]Recovery by Viking Kinetic Rope - YouTube[/ame]

14. ThinkMud

ThinkMud

15. itisbruno

The Viking is similar, but less expensive for stronger rope than the Bubba. Both are the same concept though, and I like the idea of using kenetic energy fo free a stuck vehicle.

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

17. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

I have a 30k recovery strap from harbor freight and have used it for everything. I've had it for about 4 years and its stays in my toolbox. No metal hooks is a must, and if someone is really stuck lay a wet blanket or something on the strap in case it breaks or comes off where attached. I always flip my toolbox lid up just as a precaution even a strap or rope can be deadly

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. fjrdc

fjrdc

DO NOT, I REPEAT ,DO NOT use a recovery strap with a hook or ANYTHING metal, YOU are taking your lives in your hands, I have seen hook failures ,not pretty! broken hooks going thru tail gates ,I have also read about tow strap hooks going thru rear windows KILLING the driver!:wow:

19. itisbruno

Great advice, thanks. This will be used mostly for guys with non 4x4 trucks, they tend to get stuck in the mud when we track dogs.

Which ARB do you have, Tippyman?

Thanks Z71bill, but my Excursion is 8k lbs dry, I may want something a little stronger. That would be great to keep in my old Pathfinder.

:supergrin:

Great advice, I've seen them break.

20. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

You will need clevis shackles for your front tow hooks.