close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a good gift pocket knife?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 19crew, Nov 29, 2012.

1. 19crew

19crew

Anyone have any suggestions on a good, gift pocket knife? Prefer that it's "usa made" and relatively small. Looking to buy two for Christmas gifts for coworkers. $60ish range.

I've been debating benchmade 556's as I've owned a couple and they're nice, just looking for other options from some Kershaw, CRKT owners, etc...

2. Triple7

Triple7

Case...... I got one from my father in law a couple years ago. Great knife and classic.

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Kershaw Blurs can be had in a variety of colors for about $65, and lots of Leeks are at or below that price point. Solid, well made knives with world class customer support. GPKnives and BladeHQ have good prices.

Leeks:

[​IMG]

Blur:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  4. countrygun

countrygun

Staying away from the "tactical" arena since I wouldn't gift something along those lines unless it was a personal friend, I would want some quality and "neutrality" as it were and a touch of class to it.

While it doesn't make the "Made in USA" qualification, I picked one of these up about three weeks ago and I may order a couple more to keep in the "box o'gifts that we have for occasions. I like minr and it is a bit lees "dramatic" than one of my assisted openers, when you have to cut something in "polite" society

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...with+Antique+Jigged+Bone+Handle/KS3140JB.html

If the link doesn't work, or you are lazy, I can post a pic up if you catch me before I go to bed.:supergrin:

5. 19crew

19crew

I've been debating about something like that, I'm indeed trying to avoid a complete "tactical" knife. The pictured "blur" in the aforementioned post is about as "tactical" as I'd go.

However, the Kershaw you posted looks pretty nice and would probably be age appropriate for these guys, one is 40 and the other almost 60.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

6. bushjumper

bushjumper

7. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

I like the Leeks from Kershaw. Not real tactical looking and a clean design
    I picked up 2 for gifts @ 32.00 ea and since it was over $50.00 there was a $10.00 additional discount from amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Folding-Knife-Speed/dp/B0009VC9Y0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1354168726&sr=1-1&keywords=kershaw+leek"]Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31ExAIq%2BtWL.@@AMEPARAM@@31ExAIq%2BtWL[/ame]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

The Leeks shown above are especially nice, and if you want slipjoint, Case in the standard.

9. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I'm partial to the traditional style, too, and the bone handles are my favorite. The knife posted by countrygun is real similar to the Buck brand 110 model I often carry (about $40-$45), but the Buck has smooth handles; you might say it is a little more 'refined' looking and it has a blade lock. I don't know where they're made.

I like a single-blade around 3.5" long for a general purpose carry knife. The Kershaw looks good. Check out the Buck line, too, for quality and a variety of sizes.

10. countrygun

countrygun

The Kershaw is a lockback.

11. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

I didn't look closely. I think the lock is a good feature.

I may order a few of those myself.

12. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I carry a CRKT M16 every day. Highly recommend it.

[​IMG]

13. Andy W

Andy W

Not made in America but the Spyderco Tenacious is a really good knife for the money. They are made in China so I won't blame you if you don't get one on those grounds. That's the only reason I don't have several. I don't mind buying things made in Japan, Korea, Tiawan, the Phillipines, Mexico, etc but China is a little different. I certainly own a lot of things made there but it doesn't mean I like giving money to our main economic competitor and possible futute competetion as a world hegemon.

14. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

+1 on the Kershaw suggestions. They're well built knives, many of their different models are just very nice to look at (with clean lines), they don't have to look very "tactical" or intimidating, and they're just all-around good everyday carry knives (especially for the price).

I don't think you can go wrong.

15. jp3975

jp3975

Ive been using Kershaws for a while. That would be what id get.

Try out one with assisted opening.

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

Keep it simple. Get a Buck 110. Made in the USA and available at WalMart for under $40. Lifetime warranty.

17. singularity35

singularity35

What about the classic Buck 110?

Oops, beaten by detectorist but I do second the buck.

[​IMG]

18. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I like the case large stockman, but Case makes many styles and sizes well within your price range. Check out Smoky Mountain Knife Works online

19. HexHead

HexHead

I gave my SIL a Kershaw Leek last year for Christmas, and he really likes it.

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

When it comes to EDC pocketknives I always check the, 'CLEARANCE' section on Smokey Mountain's website before I buy. Over the years I've found some really good deals on quality knives listed for sale, here. (I, also, give pocketknives as gifts! Made a lot of close friends doing this, too!)

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/categories/Clearance/185.html

Look at this! I carry one with me all of the time. It takes a razor-sharp edge; and never rings anybody's, 'alarm bells'. Many times the tweezers and toothpick have saved me from either this discomfort, or that. I particularly like it, too, because the blade locks in place. If you know how to use a knife effectively then a small pocketknife like this can be all the blade you'll ever really need.

(The one I carry is, now, close to 30 years old. If you lose the toothpick or tweezers you can purchase replacements. It's a just plain very good pocketknife!)

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...torinox®+Sentinel™+with+Clip/V54882.html

Here's another one I like. In fact I've been thinking about replacing my old, 'working' Swiss Army with a new one of these:

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...ntinel™+with+Clip+-+Serrated/V54886.html