close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recommend a good competition mag + base plate

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Reconinforce, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Reconinforce

Reconinforce
    Expand Collapse

-Trying to get my g22 ready for some uspsa.

Any good places to find extended mag base plates for a decent price?

-Side question? Do most uspsa guys shoot .40? Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ronin.45

ronin.45
    Expand Collapse

.40 is only popular in limited. Production is 9mm. Open is 9mm Major or .38Super normally.

I like Arredondo basepads.

3. robhic

robhic
    Expand Collapse
    WOLVERINE!!!!
    Platinum Member

Would those "Tango Down" floor plates work? Not 'basepads' or extensions, per se, but a replacement floorplate that extends around the sides of the mags about 1/8" to facilitate getting a grip for removal. I think they run around $25 for 5 or so.

4. Lindenwood

Lindenwood
    Expand Collapse

Arrendodos, except for the G20 for some reason, seem to almost universally get excellent reviews. I use one on my spare G21 mag for EDC and keep that mag in the weapon for nightstand duty. I atually have another in the mail as we speak.

5. ede

ede
    Expand Collapse
    Bama's Friend

Like was said above 9mm for Production, .40 for L10, Limited, and SS, .38 SC for revolver since the rule change, and 9 Major or .38Super in Open. I did run .40 minor in Production and liked it. Best check the rules to see what's legal before you buy anything.

6. red2rider

red2rider
    Expand Collapse

Use +5 bases only to shoot in Limited major with 40.
    I've been using some Pierce +3 bases since last yr but getting ready to go +5. I want brass bases to wt my 35 more evenly.
    Arredondo bases have good reviews, but are plastic.
    http://w.iwebcenters.com/bbenterprise2/ecommerce/extended-mag-extensions/glock-mag-extensions.cfm

Taylor base plates, delrin or aluminum http://www.brownells.com/magazines/...ne-floorplates/extended-mag-pad-prod1411.aspx

Taran tactical
    http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=44_49

Several folks like myself shoot 40 in USPSA. Have fun.

7. Reconinforce

Reconinforce
    Expand Collapse

Great info. Thanks guys.

8. etcetera

etcetera
    Expand Collapse

Thoughts on Arredondo vs Taran Tactical?

9. mpolans

mpolans
    Expand Collapse

Taran's look nice, but I'm too cheap to pay that kind of money and my Arredondo base pads have worked flawlessly.

10. BuckyP

BuckyP
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

.40 is a viable option for production if you reload, and can be made softer shooting than the 9mm at equivalent power factors. It is somewhat popular in New Jersey due to the 15 round magazine max capacity. Admittedly, I know some that used to shoot .40 and now shoot more 9mm, particularly after some of the price hikes on bullets.

As for the Arredondo base pads, I bought a few to make IPSC length (not USPSA). I followed the instructions to a T. One was very brittle and just broke. The others worked fine. While he did replace the one that broke, he insisted that I did something wrong. Was kind of turned off by that.

For USPSA, I much prefer the Dawson pads over other models. Very to easy to assemble / disassemble, no tools needed.

11. Packin Iron

Packin Iron
    Expand Collapse

I use the tango down baseplates in production class. They are great because 1) They are legal 2) They are wider, and easier to strip out, and grab hold of.