close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recommend a good .38spl+p ammo?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 5, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Does anyone have any recommendations for some good .38spl+p ammo. I would really like something made for a 2" barrel if possible. I am currently carrying Gold Dot short barrel 135gr. GDHP in my EDC.

2. Sounds like you're using the gold standard already. I can't think of even one instance where I've heard anything negative about that SB .38 GD you're using. I just bought some of that 125gr. +P .38special Winchester White Box JHP not because it's so great or anything but because it was priced so well at SGammo.com. I'm trying to locate myself the GD 135gr. .357 mag SB barrel stuff with no luck. I'm pretty sure you've already got the best there is for your snub but I'm sure someone will be along shortly here with other ideas. I'll be watching as I'm curious about this too.

Take care.

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    You are already carrying some of the best .38spl ammo IMO... I carry 135gr +p Winchester PDX bonded in my 2" M85 UL... I like it.

4. SuperSleuth

SuperSleuth

Feb 27, 2010
    That's what I've been carrying in my 642, until I recently switched to Nyclads for an in-gun load (I may switch back, though...still debating that). However, I still carry SBGDHP for my reloads (JHP are easier to reload and don't deform in the pocket/pouch like the Nyclads in the 642 or the Buffalo Bore LSWCHP I carry in my 65).

I've tried BB 125gr +P JHP, but they have noticeably sharper recoil than SBGDHP, so I stayed with the latter for +P loads.

5. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    Look at Buffalo Bore and Hornady Critical Defense.

6. Dogguy

Dogguy

Aug 2, 2008
    Soggy South.
    The 135 gr GDHP +P has become the standard these days. I also like 125 gr Nyclad non-plus P in aluminum framed guns.

7. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    i'm inclined to agree

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Hmmm...it looks like I might have accidently done something right for a change. To be honest I do not even remember buying these Gold Dots. They were just in the cabinet.

I am going to check out the Buffalo Bore stuff though. :)

9. supermanct

supermanct

May 31, 2010
  10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The BB +P 158gr load will do at least its advertised velocities of 1000fps from a 2" bbl, but it has a bit of recoil....though it should be OK in a steel gun.
    I like the Gold Dot 135gr too, a great bullet design, but milder for alum. framed guns.

11. Bannack

Bannack

Jun 28, 2002
    NW Montana
    What your currently carrying, will already penetrate a refrigerator and hit a steel dinger target on the other side. If I were you, I would just stay with what your carrying and call it good.

12. BFN

BFN

Jan 2, 2010
    The 135gr GDHP +P is an good choice, I have used it. I now use Winchester 158gr LSWCHP +P, as I believe the 158gr will get better penetration. I occasionally carry a S&W M642 with a 2.5" barrel, which is just as easy for me to carry and will get up to 100 FPS more velocity than 1.875" barrel http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/smith-wesson-638?page=2

13. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    I've shot the 135grGDHP+P, I still prefer the old 158grLSWCHP+P. It always expands, even in the 2" guns & digs deep. It's also easily/cheaply duplicated for practice using cheap 158grLSWC.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  14. IvanW

IvanW

Dec 17, 2009
    + 1 on the BB. Unless you have a steel gun, however, check out the BB STANDARD PRESSURE .38 load. They don't recommend the +p load for Airweights and lighter. The standard pressure has plenty of punch. It's good stuff and very accurate for me.

15. OldScribe2009

OldScribe2009

Jul 23, 2009
    +1 All Day.

The reason why you are hearing so many repeat comments is because you are already carrying some of the best JHP's for the .38 Spl. It's +P, which is what you requested, and it was specifically engineering FOR snubby revolvers BY Speer. I read an article on its development, and I looked over photos on its penetration and expansion. A+ all day long. It's damn near perfect ammo--if there is such a thing.

However, it's also expensive ammo, so keep those rounds in your cylinder and be happy they're there! :supergrin:

16. cjcutter1

cjcutter1

Mar 3, 2011
    Northern P.A.
    +1 on the remington 158+p Lhpwc or the speer 135+p thats whats in my 642.

17. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    A refrigerator you say?

But what if this is on the other side of that refrigerator?

[​IMG]