close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recoil spring

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by flynlead, Feb 17, 2013.

1. flynlead

flynlead

Jan 2, 2010
    All guns I have use a single wire coil except for my sig. I was told that the braided spring in the sigs last 3 times longer than a single wire. If that is true does anyone make a braided spring for 1911's?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    I don't know of any braided 1911 springs but I would ask why would you need one?

Recoil springs are cheap for the 1911 and wolff makes great springs, for around $8.00 each, just keep one on hand.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Never seen a braided spring in a 1911. They do make a flat wire
    1911 spring, is said to have less chance to bound and will last three times longer

4. flynlead

flynlead

Jan 2, 2010
    That is what I'm after, looking for a longer lasting spring. I know they are cheap but would rather have better if it exist.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  6. I have the Wilson flatwire kit in one of my 1911. Great stuff. Have to use those thinner recoil spring guide.

It's the same spring as a ISMI 17lb spring for a G17.

7. flynlead

flynlead

Jan 2, 2010
  8. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Haven't tried a flat spring. Best / longest lasting I've used so far is the Wolff chrome silicon spring, and I've been through a fair share of recoil springs.

9. I prefer ISMI but wouldn't pass up a Wolff in a pinch...

Bill

10. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

Feb 28, 2001
    NY
    I didn't know they were using them in the 1911s but the braided wire springs Sig has been using in the classic models for years is a very high quality spring. I would recommend them over Wolff or ISMI for Sigs. I've thought the Wilson flat spring is quite the gimmick just because of the proprietary guide rod. As SigFTW said springs are cheap.

11. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    How do you guys know this? Have you compared back to back, or done some actual spring testing?

Do you really know the materials used in making the springs you are naming?

You are all just slinging brand names.

Springs are maintenance items, recommended change is every 5,000-10,000 rounds, or before your FTRTB, whether you think you need it or not.

12. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Well, I get a pretty good idea. I know how much I load, I know how much an ammo can will hold. When it's throwing brass 3 feet from me after 6 or 7 ammo cans, it's not the best spring. When it takes 9 or 10 to do that, the spring is more better-er.

:honkie: