close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil Spring

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Boneyard1949, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Boneyard1949

Boneyard1949

Took the slide off for cleaning and the recoil spring just fell out! I'm new to Glock but love this 21. I'm used to 1911's and the spring being under tension.
    When I put it back together the rod sits in the slot but under no tension. Seems to work fine. Is this normal?

New to glock and the forum great place.

2. Ronbars

Ronbars

When you reassemble the slide, make sure the end of the recoil spring assembly is seated down in the lower, semi-circular notch and not the upper horizontal notch. The first time the slide cycles, the recoil spring assembly will move to the horizontal notch, but it must be replaced in the semi-circular cutout for reassembly.

Since the horizontal notch is a bit further back than the semi-circular one, there will be less spring tension when it's in this position so I suppose it's possible that it would just fall out, though I've never had that happen.

Photos from another thread for comparison are below. The upper photo shows the end of the RSA in the correct position for reassembly, the lower shows the RSA in position after the slide is cycled:

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. ghostrider88

ghostrider88

Does not sound correct, captured or uncaptured there should be some tension on the spring

4. Boneyard1949

Boneyard1949

Thanks for the quick reply. When I put it back together I put it back like the top photo. I was just surprised when it fell out. If I don't hold the slide spring up it dosent want to reassemble. The rod and spring sag being held in by the rod guide.

5. TxGlock9

TxGlock9

Get a new spring. It shouldn't just fall out. There should be some tension put on the spring so it won't fall out during assembly/disassembly.

6. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Actually, it's not uncommon for the RSA to fall free from the big frame guns when field stripping it. It's quite harmless, and maybe even a little beneficial.....it forces the user to re-seat the assembly into it's assembly position* in the barrel lug (as pictured above) EVERY time the slide is removed....as it should be.

* It does not stay in the notch when the gun is assembled, the rear of the RSA butts against the frame...not the barrel lug.

7. rbrothers

rbrothers

I am having the same issue with my Glock 27 Gen 3. I thought my slide lock was messed up. When I would go to disassemble it looks like the Recoil Rod drops out of the top notch into the farthest from the barrel.

The slide ends up jamming on the rail and I have to force it to get the slide off. I haven't had this issue with my G26 or my other G27.

I tried doing it holding the pistol pointing up, pointing down, on either side, and very slow. If I go really slow it doesn't jam, it slides off but once it slides off, the recoil rod is always in the notch farthest from the barrel.

Do you think it's time for a new Recoil Rod or do you think it's a spring issue with the Slide Lock?

I seem to only have the issue on this particular handgun when I dissasseble for cleaning.

8. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

9. Boneyard1949

Boneyard1949

I wish I had a definite answer for you. As stated by Butch it is not unusual for the large frame to have this trait. My 21's spring falls out every times disassembly is performed.

I'm new to Glock but I'm certain you'll find help here.:dunno:

10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Yup, listen to Butch! :) The RSA is supposed to drop 'out of the top notch into the farthest from the barrel.'

It's unlikely that the RSA is responsible for the hangups you're experiencing.

Welcome to GlockTalk!

11. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida

I also experience this most times when I field strip my G21SF. I usually turn teh slide over as soon as it clears the frame to prevent the spring from falling out. I agree it's a good idea to reset the spring every time you remove the slide.

12. rbrothers

rbrothers

Butch,
    Correction on that jamming on the slide. It seems as if the Recoil Rod would get stuck like it is hung up on the slide lock. I have to really pull on it to take the slide off. I have also tried depressing the lock down all the way when pulling it off but it still seems to do it. Thats why I was thinking it may be time to replace the rod.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  13. rbrothers

rbrothers

HenryinFlorida,
    I didn't think to turn it upside down like that. I will try that tonight and see if that helps me out.