close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Recoil Spring K40

Discussion in 'Kahr Club' started by Sgt127, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Sgt127

Sgt127
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

Something to think about regarding springs. I recently bought a new, older stock, K40. Its had about 600 rounds through it since I bought it. It always had a little hesitation when going back into battery. Just a tiny little nudge was needed, every once in awhile, to get it to close completely.

So, I ordered a couple new recoil springs and guide rods.

Top is the spring I took out of the gun. Same number of coils, but, markedly shorter. I don't know if it took a set from sitting on a dealers shelf for years, or from the rounds I have put through it. They may have even changed the spring style for all I know.

The gun goes into battery very smarly now. I haven't shot it much since the spring change, but, I'll take it out and look at it after a few hundred rounds and post back.

Obviously, that much change in the length of the spring made quite a difference in its return energy. I'm a believer in changing out something as cheap as a recoil spring on a regular basis. Especially now.

2. Cowart

Cowart
    Expand Collapse

3. eltee

eltee
    Expand Collapse

I bought a new K40 in the late 90's that came with a short spring. It had the same problem as yours. I think they just had a bad batch of springs. Kahr replaced it free.

4. albinlee

albinlee
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, although they may have modified the recoil spring weight or design since the original version you bought, I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same. They are both 21 coil springs, I just think that the one you bought had already reached its maximum set. Are you sure about the round count (could be much more than 600 on that spring including previous owner)? If the original owner was like I am, they very well could have racked the slide/dry fired several thousand times as well. With all of these factors considered, I don't think that the original spring was faulty by an means... just worn out!

#4 albinlee, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012