close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Recoil control

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Andy W, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    Came across this on you tube last night. Interesting how little the gun moves when they are shooting. I never thought about how much of a difference flaring your elbows out could make.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Pmc8wtAhc&list=FLdIgW75k1f85GmY78U99XSQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video"]Ruger and GunTalk.tv - Recoil Management - YouTube[/ame]

2. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    Their hammers are all down, at least the ones I could see. Staged photo perhaps?

3. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    I'd say the guy demonstrating is probably pretty physically fit, helping with recoil control.

While that may work with something with moderate recoil like a common defensive pistol, I'd really caution anyone trying that with something like a heavy load in a .500 Mag. That would look like an invitation for elbow injury. Don

4. simotek

simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    That's how I shoot my Glocks. They feel like BB guns.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Hmm, 60% grip with support hand, 40% with shooting hand. That's opposite of what I've always heard. I'll try that.

Thumbs forward just feels so unnatural to me and the gun (especially Glocks) tend to point high. I can definitely see though how it would minimize muzzle rise.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  6. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Probably just training on stance and whatnot.

7. 40frank

40frank

Aug 24, 2010
    Ironically, this is the video that had me looking at the SR9. (The instructor in the video is using one.)

EDIT: Didn't finish the watching whole video, there was a similar segment using an SR9 which I thought and assumed it was included in this video. That is why I mistakenly said SR9...woops.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  8. simotek

simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    A .gov instructor friend of mine says they teach a support hand strong grip with a relatively relaxed trigger hand grip. The idea being with your trigger hand relaxed your pull will be smoother and more controlled.

Seems to work. I don't do any "gripping" with my trigger hand. I just push forward a bit but leave that hand relaxed.

9. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    Hmmm. Will have to experiment with that. Thanks for posting!

10. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas

I thought that was weird too. I actually have a slightly deformed left hand from a birth defect, nothing like in Scary Movie, but short stubby fingers and a lot of scar tissue limiting movement in a couple of fingers and it would be very hard to do it that way.

11. Andy W

Andy W

Dec 4, 2006
    Kansas
    It's actually an SR40 but look what he has in his holster.

12. 40frank

40frank

Aug 24, 2010
    Thanks, I missed that. I had the SR9 on my mind when I was watching it. Either way, I ended up buying the SR9 a few days ago and I am totally impressed with it.

EDIT: Didn't finish the watching whole video, there was a similar segment using an SR9 which I thought and assumed it was included in this video. That is why I mistakenly said SR9
    ...woops.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  13. scccdoc

scccdoc

Dec 28, 2011
    Good find, thanks....... DOC

14. catalyst686

catalyst686

Apr 13, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'll be trying this method next time I'm at the range...

15. That works great for 2 handed shooting, but when you have to use only one hand you need to hang onto the thing.

Under stress you will default to your training, if you only train with a 2 handed grip and that method you will have problems.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. simotek

simotek

Jul 29, 2012
    DC Area
    I "go both ways" and make sure I shoot two-handed and single-handed. In a perfect world I am shooting with two hands (well, in a perfect world I'm not shooting at all) but if something were to happen to my left or right hand I am proficient shooting single handed.

I have always assumed everyone practices shooting with two hands and then with just their right and just their left.

17. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Try this:

While in your shooting stance, but with elbows IN as far as they go (arms locked straight), rotate the muzzle up as far as you can without breaking your normal shooting grip. Now, while the muzzle is up, move your elbows outward to the sides. Most people will see the muzzle come down because with your elbows out, you can't physically rotate the muzzle as high. YMMV