close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reciprocity question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by eracer, Feb 9, 2012.

1. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Does anyone know why certain states have reciprocity with some, but not with others?

It drives me crazy that I can't carry in Nevada, but someone from Ohio can.

I'm not being flippant here - I really can't come up with a logical reason for selective reciprocity.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. g23rob

g23rob
    Expand Collapse

3. dosei

dosei
    Expand Collapse

In a nutshell...requirements. Most commonly...training.

Case in point, South Carolina. SC, like many other states, requires that a person receive a little bit of training before being given a CWP. And they happily reciprocate with any state that has similar requirements for getting a CWP. Since SC's neighbor, GA, does not require any type of training whatsoever...SC does not honor a GA CWP. And since SC does not honor a GA CWP...GA does not honor a SC CWP. Same with all the others. Some states have certain requirements for obtaining a CWP and they have also written the reciprocity part of the law such that they only reciprocate with States that have similar requirements.

Given the number of people that have been arrested for having a gun somewhere that they cannot legally have one...it really is no surprise that several States want anyone with a CWP to have had a day of training where they are informed of such legalities...

#3 dosei, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  4. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

^^ Thanks ^^

#4 eracer, Feb 9, 2012
  5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Another rather common one that eliminates a lot of places is the requirement for a list of valid permits available 24/7 through a national database. Some states keep their records in the county issued and it's a paper list. You have to call and get a person to go look it up.

6. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

#6 eracer, Feb 9, 2012
  7. Jon_R

Jon_R
    Expand Collapse

Nevada dropped FL when it went to 7 years for permits vs. 5. That is what I read.

FL honors any states permit that honors FLs permits at least for residents of that state. I like FL's process for that makes it pretty easy. You take ours we will take yours.

8. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo
    Expand Collapse

And MN won't take either WI, ND or FL because there are ways around having to do a class and live fire exercise. One also must take into account that the politicians are deciding what certain words mean in the laws, so "substantially similar" becomes "As or more restrictive."

9. Pierre!

Pierre!
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I feel your pain!

I lived in Nevada for 26 years, my personal family is there... and Arizona lost reciprocity with them a few years ago when they dropped the round count for qual to 10! :wow:

National reciprocity is the only thing that makes sense.

Patrick

10. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine
    Expand Collapse
    Limp Member

And just a note: The Republic of New York is too elitist to accept any others states CCW permit but their own.

11. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

National Reciprocity would have prevented this.

12. Caver 60

Caver 60
    Expand Collapse

Interesting point HerrGlock. See my post number 19 and others in this thread.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397558

So how does one find out if MO makes a list of valid permits available through a national data base? I know for sure the MO permits are all entered in MULES. Does MO make that list available to officers in other states?

Of course Illinois doesn't honor anyones permit anyway, but I'd sure like to know the answer.

13. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Directly, I don't know. Ask a MO cop would be my suggestion.

However, if you go around the corner, so to speak, you can get an idea that it is available 24/7.

Check this West Virginia law that was passed:

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/bill_s...oc=hb3314 intr.htm&yr=2009&sesstype=RS&i=3314

Now look at the states the AG accepts
    http://www.wvago.gov/gunrecep.cfm

Full Reciprocity
    (...)
    Missouri

With that, my guess is yes there is a database that is reachable 24/7 to check the status of a permit in MO.

14. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

There are a lot of factors. Mostly it has to do with the requirements to get the permit. A lot of times, training, age, etc. Some states are statutory in that they will honor any state's permit that honors theirs. Or the state will simply allow any permit issued by any state. Some states are stricter than others. MN for example will not honor ND permit because even though the training, age, etc. are pretty much the same, there are crime disqualifications (DUI, felony, etc) that ND does not have as a disqualifier. And since ND only honors states who honor theirs a MN resident cannot carry there and likewise for a ND resident. I lived in MN over the summer about an hour away from Fargo. Many people from ND would go back and forth. Not to mention Moorhead, MN and Fargo are almost the same city.

15. Caver 60

Caver 60
    Expand Collapse

Thanks HerrGlock You have confirmed my suspicions. I do know that MO prohibits public release of the CCW information. I.E. the newspaper can't print a list of licensees, and I can't check to see if my neighbor has a license.

But official agencies can certainly check. For instance when I renew my CCW license the License Office checks MULES first, to be sure the sheriff has correctly entered the info, before they make the new card for me.

But in the previously thread that I referenced, drobs (in his post number 18) seemed pretty positive that the information wouldn't come up if an Illinois LEO ran your MO drivers license on a routine traffic stop.

Quote drobs: "There is no CCW in Illinois. Illinois is not able to tell if you have a CCW license, they can not pull it up on their computer system. It means nothing to them but could lead to harassment."

I'm not sure if a MO officer would know if the info would come up in Illinois or not? I strongly suspect it would, since the MO CCW permit number is IDENTICAL to the MO drivers license number, even though both are on separate cards. Although in MO you can get the CCW put on the drivers license card if you want to.

I choose to use separate cards for check cashing/other non LEO interactions like voting etc., where I have to show the license to prove my identity. My last speeding ticket was in 1967, but if I'm ever stopped again, I personally plan to hand over both cards to the LEO. MO doesn't require disclosure, unless asked. But I'd rather do the telling than have the officer do the asking. JMO

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Now you're asking a different question.

I have no idea if your CCW comes up if you get pulled over in a different state. Personally, I'd ask a cop in another state to run my license and ask if it does before I made any assumption about it at all.

17. TactiCool

TactiCool
    Expand Collapse

18. kensteele

kensteele
    Expand Collapse

In case you didn't know, as a FL resident you are free to obtain permits from other states besides FL. Usually your non-resident permit will be accepted in other states just like a resident permit but ymmv. Then if a state doesn't accept your FL permit, perhaps they will accept your UT, PA, or NH permit.

19. Angry Fist

Angry Fist
    Expand Collapse
    *******!!®
    Lifetime Member
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad
    2. Show Me Glockers

It's good to be from MO. I think we're up to 38 states now.

20. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Michigan is still #1. MI license is recognized in every state that recognizes other states permits.