close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Reblue?

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by Sheepdog689, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Sheepdog689

Sheepdog689 NRA Life Member

Oct 24, 2010
    I have a model 19 that was my original issue when I went through the police academy in 1975. I carried the revolver for about ten years before we switched to the 659. During the years I was carrying the 19 in a leather duty holster a good amount of blueing on the barrel, cylinder and frame wore off.

There's no rust on the gun as I take good care of it, but I'm thinking about getting it re-blued but I didn't know if it would hurt the value of the revolver. I would never sell it and plan on passing down to my son. I'm close enough to Springfield that I can run the revolver to the S&W factory to have the blueing done.

What say you? Reblue or leave it as is?

kaisooba likes this.
  2. VanH

VanH

Mar 23, 2008
    If you plan to pass it down to your son, I reccomend having it reblued, especially if you have it done at the factory.

janice6, kaisooba and mrasgt like this.

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

May 27, 1999
    Oh, USA
    Rebluing will reduce the collector value. If you want to keep it in the family and want to pass on a gun that looks like it did when you were issued it, then a trip to S&W sounds like a good bet. Just make sure you know what you are getting.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...4_750001_750051_775657_-1_757896_757896_image

High Bright Polish (Blue, Stainless Steel or Nickel) $275
    Glass Bead Nickel (except Stainless) $220
    Standard Polish & Blue $220
    Glass Bead Blue & Stainless Steel $170

4. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm

Jul 25, 2013
    Central Texas
    In your case, since you are planning to keep it in the family, collector value would be irrelevant. I say go ahead and have it reblued.

5. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Mar 14, 2006
    N.W. Indiana
    Had to buy a revolver to shoot practice/ quals while attending LEO Academy in 1987. It was still difficult to find a Stainless model, so found a trade in M10 4in, pencil bbl 38 Spec. It was also worn, but internals looked new.

When I showed up to the Firearms RO, he did a quick check, and told me the revolver will last a lifetime. After shooting a perfect score, I was convinced that it was a "diamond in the eye of the beholder".

The RO knew a local Gunsmith, I received a quote, and had mine reblued. I also had the front sight cut to allow an orange insert. Price was well worth it.(think iirc, was 100.00 for the blueing, 25.00 for the sight work", no springs replaced, and 5.00 for a pair of slightly used(new)Pachmyer grips.

After 8yrs on duty, semi retired to a Glock Duty Weapon, but kept in reserve in my nightstand w/ 2 speedloaders w/ 158 SWHPs. Never felt under armed, but those Glocks carry a lot of rounds vs a S&W M10!

Mine will be passed down to either of two sons. They are on this earth due to my protection offered by that S&W.

Good luck.

janice6 and JimBianchi like this.
  6. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    I disagree with a revalue for several reasons:
    Does not add value
    If you take care of the gun it won't hurt anything to have finish worn areas
    Costs you money
    That wear was put on by you protecting yourself and the citizenry of your jurisdiction- you and then your son should be proud of its battle scars not try to hide them. The wear for me is an almost spiritual thing.

Maine and Chup like this.
  7. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
  8. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

Jan 16, 2012
    Rochester ny
    I will also cast my vote for leaving it just the way it is, and actually adding mor charicter by taking it out and shooting it whenever you get the chance!

Maine likes this.
  9. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    A picture would be helpful in this case. A little honest holster wear adds character and makes it more appealing in my opinion.

If it's really worn a factory re lying job would be nice before you pass it on.

10. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I bought a beater K frame a few years ago. Someone went at it with naval jelly and a brush.

Not pretty.

I cold blued it 3x to get it right, and it looks amazing. Safe queen so it will last a long time.

My best K frame has a slight amount of wear and I will leave it alone, I think it adds character.

There are a LOT of M19s out there, so I doubt collectors value is really an issue.

If your keeping it, and don't care, leave it.

If you think it's ugly, fix it.