Glock Talk banner

Reasonable distance to shoot subcompacts or mouse guns?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mas Ayoob 
#1 ·
Mas

What are reasonable or more specifically, realistic, distances for shooting a subcompact (Sig P238 or P938), mouse gun, or J frame (S&W 442) firearm? It seems more challenging to shoot them out to longer distances, in general - with the exception of a 380 caliber, which I know you don't advocate.

For me, the 9mm P938 is my best out to only 10 yards for me, staying in the A zone of an IDPA target. Out to 15 yards, I'm mixed between the A and B zone. Any general tips?

Rick

#2 ·
Rick, tips are:

1. Shoot more, farther.
2. Carry bigger guns that are easier to shoot.

Seriously, one of the fallacies in the gun business is that if one is carrying a little, short range gun, their opponents will magically restrict their attacks to a suitable distance. A friend of mine won a gunfight at 23 yards, using a Smith 642 snubby against a guy with a .45 auto.

Firm grasp, smooth trigger roll, and knowledge of point of aim/point of impact coordinates will allow you to surprise yourself with the grouping ability of many of the smaller carry guns.

Best,
Mas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.