close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Really confused.. Can someone try to explain & let me know what to do next?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by GLOCK19FTW, Jan 27, 2013.

1. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

LOL ok I'll explain. I wasn't threatening anybody or trying to intimidate anyone.

Its a long story but here goes.. About 7 years ago, I was stopped at a railroad track, about 5 cars back.

The train passed by, the gates went up, and the 4 people in front of me crossed. Now, the location of the railroad tracks makes it IMPOSSIBLE to see if it's clear in both directions, until you are actually ON the track, due to a huge building to the right.

The car I was driving at the time was a straight-up BEATER. lol literally falling apart.

So anyway, I'm coming up to the railroad tracks to cross, and the gate comes down and busts my windshield. Turns out, there was a 2nd train about 50 feet behind the first one.

In my opinion, the gate never should have went up in the first place. But that isn't important.

I got a police report, I took photos of the damage, I sent in a copy of my insurance policy, my drivers license, a written statement as to what happened, literally everything they asked for - and I sent it to the train company's insurance department.

I just wanted to be reimbursed a measly $190 for a new windshield. Nothing more.

So anyway, I get a letter from the insurance department a week later, saying that it was my fault, and I shouldn't have been trying to out-run the train.

I flipped. If you could see that old car, you would understand why. That thing wasn't outrunning a yugo, let alone a train.

So I made the stupid decision to call the insurance department, and since nobody answered, I left a voicemail. Yep... stupid move.

On the recording, I said something along the lines of:

"This is *****in BS, I sent you everything you asked for, I even included photos of the location to show that there is a huge building blocking the view of the tracks. I'll see you in court, b*tch."

And sure enough.. I did see them in court.. Just not how I was hoping. LOL

But like I said, I learned my lesson.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

GLOCK19FTW
    Good to hear, yes I'd Call SLED and make sure they still don't need the written appeal on record!:supergrin:

3. FireForged

FireForged
    Expand Collapse
    Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

I am just a joe citizen layman with no experience in these matters but it could be that the person who reviews backgrounds has found information for someone with similar name, dob, ss number or slight variation of both. This "reviewer" may not want to say that it is you or isnt you and could have set the decision aside to have clairification from you directly.

#43 FireForged, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

^^^ This.

For starters, show them the part of the public site that says you're "black." Then ask if this is really you (obviously a mistake), or if this is another individual with the same information as you.

#44 Patchman, Jan 30, 2013
  5. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

lol I already got that removed from the records. Just took a few phone calls & some hilarious dialogue. The woman on the phone busted out laughing when I told her it said I was black.

Now I'm just waiting for the Sheriff to call me back. Yesterday when I spoke to him, he said he would get back to me today at the latest.

If I don't hear from him today, I'll give him a call first thing in the morning. I don't wanna bug him, I'm sure he's got a lot of real work to get done. lol

#45 GLOCK19FTW, Jan 30, 2013
  6. SpringerTGO

SpringerTGO
    Expand Collapse

I think they were discriminating against you because you are black. :rofl:
    I'll bet if you got the NAACP on it you'd have your permit tomorrow.

7. Laslo

Laslo
    Expand Collapse

It's good to hear that things are working out for you. I want to echo what other people have mentioned and that is, be polite and courteous, it's amazing how fast a situation can be remedied when you behave nicely.

On a similar note, I had an instance that was somewhat similar. I was applying for a job and had something come up on a reference check. Thankfully I had obtained a level one security clearance after the incident in question and and doing so proved a mistake was made by a previous employer.

I strongly suggest that everyone should have their background checked, so mistakes can be cleared up. Computers are great, but if someone makes a mistake entering data, that mistake could cost you in many ways.

Laslo

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

So you don't have any felony convictions, but do you have any misdemeanor convictions?

9. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

Yeah just the petty misdemeanors I posted before, thats all.

10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Well the Misd convictions are probably why the Police Chief denied your permit.

11. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

I doubt it, they are from like 5-6 years ago.

All I've gotten in trouble for in the last 4 years, is 2 seatbelt violations and a speeding ticket, and all of that is paid.

I just called the Sheriff's office again, but they are out to lunch. So I just left a message.

If I don't hear back from them by 1:30 I'll try again.

12. gdlzzz

gdlzzz
    Expand Collapse

Did it take the 90 days to get the initial denial? like everyone says. I'm in day 70... tick tock tick tock.

13. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Good luck. I still say that the Chief denied the permit because of the misd convictions.

14. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

Got it after about 77 days.

15. gdlzzz

gdlzzz
    Expand Collapse

Good luck to you, hopefully Ole' Chuck Wright will do me right. I'll be looking in the mail daily.

16. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member
    Silver Member

Just a suggestion, but be sure to send nice thank you letters to everyone who helped you in this process, including the sheriff. I would send them now, even though you are still waiting. It never hurts to be polite and a nice letter goes a long way with keeping good relationships.

17. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

If you were in North Carolina I would suggest putting a $20 bill in each envelope.

Or Salem, VA.
    :animlol:

18. GLOCK19FTW

GLOCK19FTW
    Expand Collapse

Oops, I forgot about this thread - Here's an update for anyone who was following my story:

Sheriff's office emailed and faxed in the approval, and SLED says that since the approval was the only thing I needed (I met all other requirements) I don't have to send in any written appeal. I figured that would be the case, since obviously once that is approved, there is nothing left to appeal. lol

Surprisingly, everything was done over the phone.. I didn't have to go anywhere to get it straightened out, just took a couple weeks of playing phone tag with everyone.

Which is great for me, because my car is in desperate need of a tune-up and my wife works almost every day.

So yeah, just wanted to post an update for everyone!

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread & gave advice, I really appreciated all the help & suggestions! :)