close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Real good American beer...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Nestor, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Ok I asked about different states, gun laws, climate etc. etc. but I want to know something really important...good American beer ;f . I prefer something around 4,5-6,5 % of alcohol not yellow, but like "old gold" color, and not very bitter (but not sweet of course). What's your suggestions friends? I will be looking for my own too when the right time will come, but little help will be very appreciated ;c ;c ;c ;) Cold one for you on me!

2. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Nov 25, 2001
    Planet Earth
    As American beers go, Sam Adams is one of the better beers brewed here. You may not like the Boster Lager because it's fairly hoppy, but they do carry other types such as Oktoberfest, Winter Lager, Double Bock, and more that will be more malty and less hoppy.

Beer is traditionally made from malt (barley or other grain), hops (flowers), yeast and water. If it's a fruit beer or a Hefeweisen it will clearly have other ingredients wuch as wheat or fruit puree, but regular beer is generally those four basic ingredients.

After the grain is malted, the syrup that it yields is boiled and then yeast is added to ferment it. The yeast eats the sugars that are naturally present in the wort, and as they eat the sugars, they produce carbon-dioxide and alcohol as by-products. So the yeast creates both fermentation and carbonation in your beer.

The yeast eventually stop eating the sugars when
    a) the alcohol content becomes too high, killing the yeast
    b) the temperature drops too low and kills them

Ale is made with top fermenting yeast, and yields a rounder, more robust fuller bodies beer generally.

Lager is made with a bottom fermenting yeast, and yields a crisper beer, usually. Lagers take longer to ferment than ales, too.

By the way, malty is what you're looking for if you want to stay away from bitter beer. (Hops are what gives beer the bitter taste). Typically, the darker brews are maltier, while a Pale Ale, India Pale Ale (IPA) or lager will tend to be more hoppy. This is funny because those who don't really know, often shy away from the darker beers thinking they will be bitter, when in reality, they are generally more smooth, round, chocolately and have coffee and caramel notes, and the YELLOW beers tend to be more bitter.

This is your beer lesson for today. :)

Shoeless, (I used to work for a brewpub)

3. Dragline

Dragline

Nov 5, 2003
    Coastal SC
    Yuengling(sounds like it should come from China but is made in PA) is a pretty decent American beer.

4. Guest

Great post Shoe. I took a tour of the SAM ADAMS brewery in Boston and it was great. Free beer to!! That fresh stuff was the best.

5. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    Shoeless I can't find the right word ;P, so "thank you" is all I can say now. Wow! Good to have you on our side! I like Guinness, but only sometimes - for every evning relax I prefer something more ordinary, so thank you for this information. Yuengling sounds interesting...thank you too Dragline.

6. Glockerel

Glockerel Got Mojo?

Grab a Summit Pale Ale. Made right here in St. Paul, Mn. One of the best beers on the planet.

7. Shoeless

Shoeless Gun Totin' Girl

Nov 25, 2001
    Planet Earth
    I love the Yuengling Black and Tan. Every time someone I know goes to Pennsylvania, I have them bring me a case. I now have four cases in my house! hee hee... it's delish!

Nestor, you are welcome! :)

Shoeless

8. FYI: Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the states.

Nestor alot of american beers are good but I find the real good ones aren't general popular beers that are available in the local stores. The regional micro-brews have some of the best beers depending on what you want.

I myself like white or red Belgian ales and that means coppertown ommegang. Other beers ( not techincally Ales ) that I drink that are american and not so common.

Yeuling Black&tan
    Michelob Black & tan
    ESB redhook ( IPA )
    Shipyard Thumper Ale
    Goose Island (IPA or Brown ale Honkers ale if I'm real in the mood )

If I have only american brews and no imported french or belgian ales then the 4 listed beers would be in my refrig. If you come to the states like Chicago or Wisconsin area, try going to a beer festival and checkout the beers that are available. You can also do like I do and subscribe to the beer magazine. Alot of the small breweries have some very good slection that are sold in house for carry out.

I found in my past 5 yrs of really drinking good beers ( and that doesn't include Bud and MGD, sorry for all of you rednecks that think Budweiser is a good beer "yuck!" ) that areas like upstate NY, anywhere in PA, Chicago,& Wisconsin all have great local brews that are very good.

(e.e walter payton brewery in aurora,IL or Goose Island in Chicago)

Cheers.

;c

9. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

Dec 12, 2003
    around here
    Fat Tire, New Belguim Brewing, Ft. Collins, CO.

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

May 23, 2002
    Big Chimney, WV
    Anchor Steam is another excellent American beer. It has a taste similar to Sam Adams but without the bitter aftertaste.

11. MarkCO

MarkCO Millennium Member CLM

Dec 21, 1998
    Colorado
    I actually prefer the Sam Adams Cream Stout to Guiness. In general, Sam Adams is my choice across the board sans the Craberry Lambis (Not too good if you ask me). Sam Adams Tripple Bock is really amazing BTW. Breckenridge Brewery, from CO, makes some pretty good beers, but not sure if you can buy them around the US.

12. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Mar 15, 2003
    Fat Tire beers are quite good, Nestor. As is JW Dundee's Honey Brown Lager. Now, for th efinest beer onthe planet IMHO, you have to go to Belgium proper. Find Chimay blue label (Grande Reserve). It's about 8$/bottle USD, but WELL worth the cost. It's only for special occasions in our house though.

13. SoDFW Jason

SoDFW Jason Slow Hillbilly

Aug 20, 2002
    Venus, TX
    Nestor,

Why don't you just pack up the family and come over for a visit so we can introduce you to the wonders of the USA? I'm sure there are enough GTers who would put you up(myself included) while you're here.

14. Another good american beer that's gaining a big following is the Sierra Nevada. This stuff is one of the most common available beer outside of the Coors/Miller/Busch offerings.

BTW: The best beer is Warnsteiner Dark ( Dunkel ) or Spaten Dark Both of thoose 2 beers are 10x better than anything produce in the USA from the big top commerical beer producers.

But once again Belgium and France have some of the best brewed Ales.

For the french, Jade /Pietra/Fischer Traditional Ale are some of my best picks.

From Belgium, any of the true monstery abbey ales including chimay but I perfer Nostradomos, Val Dieu or Duval over Chimay any time of the week.

hispeedlodrag, I 'm buying some of that stuff tonight. I've always seen the Fat Tire Ale and thougt it was an import.

just my 0.02...

15. nickg

nickg

Jan 16, 2002
    yessir!! excellent beer. my neighbor turned me on to it. me and the wife went through a few during the summer while sitting in the pool.

i don't know if it's available anywhere other than PA though. you can't even get it just going right across the state line in Ohio to the drive thru.

16. { i don't know if it's available anywhere other than PA though. you can't even get it just going right across the state line in Ohio to the drive thru.}

My local Publix grocery strore carrys it next to the JW dundee and other hardly drunk stuff. It is good and cheaper than less say Bass,Henneiken,Negra Modelo or ESB. Good stuff goes down good in a frosted mug.

17. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

Mar 10, 2003
    The Fort
    YES! A friend's, friend brought some to us in Indiana.

18. pellertpale

pellertpale ReMember

Mar 10, 2003
    The Fort
    Try'em all! No regrets.

Even though you are looking for a not so bitter beer, I still suggest Ol' Woody Pale Ale-Ft. Wayne, IN. The label resembles the avatar.

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    I wish I could do it, but travel to US now it's too expensive for us. First I can't have a free day from work. Second my great government want about 50% of my profits, and we helping our family too sometimes, so it's impossible for financial reason too. But it's my dream. Some day it will become reality even if it's hard to belive for me now...Thank you SoDFW Jason. ;Y

20. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    Ya know. Hearing Shoeless explain the process, you would think that she did more than work in a brewpub!

Mr. Shoe---->^1<----Shoeless

;f