close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reading List?

Discussion in 'GATE Survival & Preparedness' started by David Armstrong, Aug 1, 2011.

1. This Fall I'm teaching a personal security class at the local university, with a focus on basics needed for survival and security these days. I'd like to give the students a recommended reading list. So, can I put you on the spot and ask if you were limited to 6 books and wanted to cover the widest gamut of survival instruction, what would you suggest?

2. JC Refuge

JC Refuge

Oct 8, 2007
    MN
    Good for you! And a great question.

While I do try to make time to read, I know there are far more excellent survival and security-related books out there than I am familiar with.

That said--I'll give it a quick go (based on what I have myself read):

1. The time-tested SAS Survival Handbook

2. James Wesley Rawles' "How to Survive the End of the World As We Know It"

3. "The US Military Pocket Survival Guide, plus Evasion & Recovery"

4. "Back to Basics: A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills"

5. "Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival"

6. And to wrap it up--a book that is not yet out that I am reviewing and enjoying and learning from right now ... it is supposed to be released Oct. 4: "How to Win a Fight; a Guide to Surviving Violence."

As I recall, each of these books is authoritative, factual and informative, as well as easily digested and enjoyed by those with an interest in such things.

3. Great minds think alike<G>! I had the first two on my list already, and we are close on #3, as I had the US Army Survival Manual, but that Pocket Guide looks interesting. I'll check out the others also. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011