close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Re-sizing G23 Gen 3 Grip

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by phoenixg23, Feb 12, 2013.

1. phoenixg23

phoenixg23

Feb 7, 2013
    Arizona
    I love my G23 Gen 3 but am not happy with the grip size should I need to one hand fire it.
    I saw a company in Arizona that offers resizing services, wondering if anyone has sanded or reshaped the polymer grip themself. Have you had such a service performed, if so, did it make a differece in handling and firing one handed for you?

I considered trading for a G19 Gen 3 but really do like carrying the .40 cal as my primary with my .38 snub-nose in an ankle holster (back-up).

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  2. Mark Housel

Mark Housel

Dec 21, 2011
    Arizona
    The grip on y our Glock can be "resized", typically called a grip reduction.

Also the finger grooves can be removed and the trigger guard relieved. All of this is easy enough to do. This grip has those operations performed and the grip textured.

[​IMG]

3. I felt the same way about my Gen 3 G23. The finger humps didn't fit my hand, but everything else was perfect. I used a sander to remove the humps and then smoothed it out with sandpaper of increasingly finer grit. Finally I used a soldering iron with a straight slot tip on the frontstrap in X patterns until it finally looked like rough sandpaper. The grip feels like it had a slight grip reduction. I also sanded the part of the trigger guard above where the middle finger rests to allow for a slightly higher grip.

If I wanted to reduce it more, I could heat the hollow area at the bottom of the backstrap and press it in against a flat surface. If you choose to do this, make sure you insert an empty mag before pressing the backstrap so that you don't go too far and the mag doesn't fit.

If you DIY, don't use a dremel tool, and take your time. Its better to take off too little and the job take longer than to take off too much and you can't undo the damage. I started out filing it by hand, then I used a flat sander (very gently), and then took days to finish it with sandpaper.

I wish I had a better picture but my phone's camera isn't very good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. Mark Housel

Mark Housel

Dec 21, 2011
    Arizona
    Actually removing the hump on the back strap isn't always necessary

Just removing the stock molded in texture and finger grooves is often enough to reduce the grip enough for many folks.

5. That's one of the best looking Glocks I have ever seen! Is that a milled Glock slide, or aftermarket?

6. Mark Housel

Mark Housel

Dec 21, 2011
    Arizona
    That is a lone wolf slide with the front cocking serrations removed.

The same sort of 'single cocking serration' cut could be done on a factory slide as well. It would need to be sized to accommodate the Logo and other stampings.

7. phoenixg23

phoenixg23

Feb 7, 2013
    Arizona
    Forgot about this thread I started, sorry bout that fellas. I wound up diving into the project myself using various grades of sandpaper then finished up with the soldering iron. Went with the volcano rock pattern, works well. Thanks for taking time from your day to post the responses.