close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

RCBS dies

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by trlcavscout, Aug 31, 2010.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

Ok I found a local source with a reasonable price on Berry's HBFP 124gr 9mm's for my 357 sig loading. Now I am reading that the RCBS dies I bought wont work for 357 sig? Some say they work some say they dont, I see why they say they wont. But being new back to reloading and new to this caliber I need to know if I have to put out another $50 for dies or if these will get me by? Thanks.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

So what dies did you buy?

3. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

I bought the RCBS set not knowing any better at the time.

4. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

I can get the LEE factory crimp die for $22, but if I dont need it thats powder or bullets.

5. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

So what is wrong with the RCBS .357 Sig Dies? And what does the Lee FCD die have too do with it. If you have me completely lost in what you trying too ask.

6. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

RCBS die set for 357Sig is part number 23101. The matching shellholder is #27. Which one did you buy, and why do you think it won't work?

#6 CitizenOfDreams, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

Isn't the issue with the RCBS that it doesn't size small enough in the neck? Why not just get a better sizing die and be done with it.

#7 Colorado4Wheel, Aug 31, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  8. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

Hopefully I am wrong and these work (since I got the set for $10), I read a couple threads on here that said that the RCBS dies dont crimp right, a few even said you have to use bullets with cannelure if you do use them. So I googled it and found even more people saying dont buy the RCBS. The Lee's were recommended by a lot of people is why I threw that out there.

9. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

Thats the set I have.

So these will work properly? I assumed they would when I bought them, but maybe I spent to much time in front of the PC and not enough time in front of the press this weekend?

10. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Before you get all disappointed in your purchase, why not try the dies? RCBS makes some quality equipment, although I too have heard negatives about their die set in 357 SIG.

I would size a case and seat a bullet, sans primer and powder. Give it a bench press test to see if you get any measurable set back. If you cannot press the bullet further into the case and measure any before/after difference, the sizing die is good to go.

11. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

12. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

THere you go using common sence on a forum. Carefull you might become a outcast if you keep it up.

13. unclebob

unclebob
    Expand Collapse

If you do get set back take .001 to .002 off the expander ball and you should be good too go. If it doesn't work you are only out $10.
    A lot of people buy the Lee dies just because they are cheaper. In a lot of cases there isn't anything wrong with them. They are just cheaper than a lot of other dies.

14. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I don't reload 357Sig so I cannot vouch for it personally, but I would reasonably expect RCBS dies to work properly if you do your part (i.e. adjusting the dies).

And yes, you are spending too much time on the forum instead of simply trying your dies and see if they work. :wavey:

15. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

Ok so I understand most of that :supergrin: So no crimp? How do I set that die up to seat but not crimp? I will try and figure this out. And here is the load I want to start with, any input?

124 HBFP berrys
    6.0 gr unique
    federal SP primer

16. trlcavscout

trlcavscout
    Expand Collapse

Ok I tried it and I have to push pretty hard to get movement. So I compared it to a crimped 9mm test round and its about the same force needed to push it in. So I am ok with it.

I will try that and see if it makes it better.

I just dont have enough 357 brass yet (only have like 100 pieces), I loaded all my 9mm brass, so until I get more brass I am just toying for now so I have it down when I get more brass.

Thanks for the help!

17. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut
    Expand Collapse

I have loaded and fired many thousands of 357Sig loads using the RCBS dies. You will need to chamfer the inside edge of the case neck to help the bullet ease into the case, but, you only do it once. If you feel you need to crimp I suggest the Lee Bottle Neck Pistol Factory Crimp Die.
    If you google 357sig loading data there is a world of info out there.

18. Uncle Don

Uncle Don
    Expand Collapse
    Wood butcher

I load allot of 357 Sig and my dies happen to be Lee, but RCBS dies wouldn't scare me a bit. I do use Lee's factory crimp die - I don't crimp with the seater die and then set the crimp die to just barely apply pressure. Out of nearly 4k now, I haven't had a single case of setback.

19. PCJim

PCJim
    Expand Collapse

Ah, shucks, Steve. I suppose as long as I continue to use words like "measure", I know I can count on your support and inclusion in the forum. :supergrin:

20. fredj338

fredj338
    Expand Collapse

The biggest issue w/ the RCBS dies is the sizer pushes the shoulder back too far resulting in improper headspace. That was the issue w/ older dies, maybe the new ones have been fixed? The other part is they treat the round like a rifle w/ no expander. bad move IMO, especially w/ plated bullets. You have to chamfer the case mouth to keep the plating form scraping &/or collapsing the neck. Not only is that time consuming, but you also remove another a bit of case neck that you really kinda need for proper taper crimp. The LFCD is not needed but does work.
    Try the dies, setup is critical, & see if you get proper sizing & maybe you can seat plated bullets better than I could w/o a case mouth flare.:dunno: You can always e-bay them & get a Lee set or go porche & get the Dillon carbide.

#20 fredj338, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010