close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rattling ductwork?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, May 28, 2012.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Ok gt experts. My ductwork on my furnace is rattling at the furnace. Does this mean that the blower motor is losing its bearings and needs replaced? I tried moving the blower when it was off of course and it does not seem to have play in it. But could it still be bad? Could dirt be built up on the blower wheel and how would I get it off?

Thanks

2. Resqu2

Resqu2

If the rattle just started then I'd put my money on the motor. I don't think dirt is the problem though. Just watch it for a while unless its really bothering you.

3. Jake514

Jake514

Did the ductwork always rattle or is this new? Any recent alterations? You will need to determine if the ductwork is rattling due to motor or blower vibration or air flow. If the motor is not vibrating, just a brace on the ductwork may help and be enough.
    If no recent alterations and it was mine, I would clean the blower wheel turn off electrical power to the indoor unit and carefully clean out any debris that was in the blower wheel assembly using a vacuum or water hose if you are comfortable using one in a confined area. Some shafts also have oil ports, which can easily be lubricated. If you chose to wash it out, wait until it completely dries, and then wait some more. If cleaning does not work and it still vibrates, you can continue to operate it or you can always replace the motor.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Thanks guys. I guess it has been rumbling for a while and now the flu pipe is clearly shaking when the blower runs. The motor does not seem to have any play in it. I guess I will try and clean it off and see what happens. I just don' want to shake the evaporator coil to pieces. I suppose a new motor will be in order soon. Airflow seems ok.

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It kind of sounds like a loud jet running and I used to think it was something else. Then I noticed the flu pipe rattling so it must be the dirty blower.