close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

RATS... now I need a bear load!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by GioaJack, Aug 16, 2010.

1. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Apr 14, 2009
    Conifer, CO
    Heard the horses screaming in the pasture, sounded like they were saying, DADDY, DADDY, HE'S GOING TO EAT US!

Walked out on the deck, they were racing around like cats with their tails on fire. Not their normal mode of behavior, usually they just stand around eating and pooping. I got the impression they were more concerned with not becoming the featured dish of a buffet than having a casual bowel movement.

since they were running to one end of the pasture I looked at the other end just in time to see a bear walking into the trees. Only saw him for a few seconds so I'm not sure if it was Yogi or Boo-Boo.

Didn't really give it much though since we have bears around here all the time and I didn't see any bloody heaps laying in the pasture. After an hour or so Dawg announced that she had to go potty and as I opened the back door I noticed two horses grazing. I recognized them immediately, they were large animals with a leg at each corner and they were supposed to be in the pasture. Bad horses.

Through the wizardry of modern technology I was able to pull out the old cell phone and call the son-in-law. He wasn't pleased when I informed him of the looses equines. Apparently he had spent a portion of the morning retrieving garbage cans and cleaning up trash caused by a bear's inquisitive scrounging.

After a few minutes the SIL showed up, gathered the errant livestock, returned them to the pasture and started walking home. To say I was a bit bewildered would be an understatement. As he walked by I inquired as to if he thought they had figured out a way of unlocking gates without thumbs. Took him a few moments to figure out what I was talking about. (Make no mistake, he's pretty much a transplanted flatlander and at times it tries my patients.

Apparently the look on my face told him what he needed to know. He jumped on the ATV in search of the escape point. He returned after a few minutes and informed me that the inconsiderate bruin had broken through the fence to gain entry in one area and made his exit through the fence some hundred yards further down. (Not being a highly trained investigator such as myself I knew he had no idea which one was entry or exit. As I said, he's a flatlander. I can't believe I allow him to touch my daughter. A few minutes work with the fence stretcher rectified the broken strands which took care of the immediate problem but now I have to be prepared for the next unannounced visit.

I spent a good portion of the day sitting in the loading room contemplating my options. Most people would say the choice is a no brainer, load up a nice 30-06 or .308 and dispatch the pesky critter. Naw, that's too easy, I'd never even have to get off the deck.

Being the light footed, stealthy little creature that I am I know I can slither up within rock throwing distance for an easy handgun shot. But alas, what handgun? .44 mag, .41 mag, .357 mag, etc., etc., etc. Naw, those would be the choices of lesser men. For example, certain people who live in Indiana, New York and southern Colorado. (They know who they are.)

I finally decided on the perfect caliber and load. I going with a 105 grain JHP .380. Not to worry, not to worry, just to be on the safe side I'm going to load up two of 'em. What'da ya think I 'm crazy or something?

Jack

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Jan 15, 2002

3. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    It will save you a lot of time and trouble if you smear some peanut butter or Nutella on your forehead. Just stand on a blue tarp so you can get your brass back.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Oh, BTW, I'm watching Walker, Texas Ranger and he just stared down a Grizzley. Chuck just used his chi to take care of a bear. I think that kind of blows your hole 380ACP for the Boone and Crocket record books thing.

5. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

Nov 8, 2008
    Ankeny, Iowa
    I personally think you should save the reloading supplies and get a pointy stick. it's free and (somewhat) effective!

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Ruger has the LCR in 357 mag now. I'd chip in to watch you touch one of those off. I tried some 158's with LilGun, that do 1400 in my GP100, in my 2.25 SP101, but the trigger guard hit my middle finger so hard I couldn't finish the cylinder.

7. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

Feb 15, 2005
    amelia,VA
    I vote for the ol black powder, if you miss the smoke will mask your getaway.:tongueout:

8. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Sep 27, 2009
    Austin, TX
  9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    [MajorPayne] Why do I feel like a jackass? [/MajorPayne]

10. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    40gr .22lr (put it through the eye). Just make sure your power chair's got a full charge before you piss it off.

11. I'm confused, you plan on shootin' the bear or the son in law?

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Are SIL's in season in Colorado?

(I have nothing useful to add to this thread, as I don't hunt... :))

IGF

13. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

Jack, out here in IL we dont have bears. Its simply because they are afraid of the real men that live in the midwest. Perhaps you could attempt to put forth a masculine front and scare him off? If that doesn't work you could always go to plan two, and use a pointy stick. Anything more and its not fair to the poor creature.

14. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Funny thing, Jack. My friend in Woodland Park posted this on facebook a few hours ago...

[​IMG]

THE INVASION HAS STARTED!!!111

GET YOUR SHTF / TEOTWAWKI .380'S!!!

15. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    I like the sharp stick and power chair idea, Jack. I can't remember anyone ever jousting a bear.

16. jl1288

jl1288

Mar 20, 2010
    Texas
    460 rowland or a 45colt. Otherwise bear spray. LOL. 280gr beartooth bullet or maybe a 300gr hornady XTP in 45colt. The 460 i'd say load whatever you want. You could always out out a picinicanicanica basket full of goodies. Just my 1/2 cent

17. I'd go with a rifle load for bear. If you insist on pistol, is there some pointed round? Bear skulls can be very hard to penetrate, especially from the front. Really you need a shotgun or a high power rilfe.