close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rate this laptop please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sharpshooter, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    I need a laptop for typical college student use and light work duty for around $500. How does this look for $479 from a major brand?

15.6" display
    HD LED backlit 1366x768
    Intel Core i5 processor
    3MB cache L3 2.3GHz speed
    6-cell lithium-ion battery
    4GB RAM DDR3
    500GB hard drive (5400rpm)
    UMA graphics
    DVD+/-RW/CD-RW Double layer
    Media card reader
    Ethernet LAN/wireless
    3USB 2.0 ports
    HDMI output
    Windows 7 Home Premium

2. Pretty nice. Not a smoking deal, but a solid machine at a fair price.

3. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    Depends on what generation the i5 processor is. If it's first gen, I'd say it's a bit overpriced.

4. sharpshooter

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    It's a new computer from a major retailer. How do I determine if it's 2nd generation? The specs sheet doesn't say.

5. sharpshooter

Dec 25, 1999
    NV
    It's 2nd gen. I think I'll buy it. Looks like a solid platform for the price.

6. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Where did you find it? Got a daughter looking for a notebook for her and her new husband...

Hope it's not Best Buy... :rofl:

7. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    Generally it'll give you a processor number. I think the 2nd gens had a four digit number after the letter. You can always look it up.

If it's an HP, be aware that they're exiting the PC market. I'd be very wary of buying an HP. If you're buying it from Best Buy, make sure you get one that they haven't opened. They like to open the box, muck with the computer, run your 'one time use' software, create recovery disks, then extort you for $100-150 for their time.

8. Glock 1

Glock 1

Aug 21, 2011
    Texas
    Its a good computer for 500. I have several HP laptops and a couple Asus. I like the Asus. They don't put alot of bloatware on theres. i5 is a decent processor too.

Good reviews, those who left bad reviews are people who are blaming the laptop for their own computer illiteracy.