close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Rate These Safety Features

Discussion in 'Car Forum' started by Matt VDW, May 25, 2006.

1. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Ohio
    Please give your opinion on the following automotive safety features, using a scale of 0-10 where 10 represents a "must have" feature and 0 means "not only is it useless, but it actually makes the car LESS safe":

- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)

- Side curtain airbags

- Daytime running lights

- Traction control

- Anything I forgot because it's past my bedtime :freak:

2. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    What kind of car? ABS is essential (10) on a bimbo box but next to useless (4 or so) on a track weapon and downright dangerous (-1) on a rally machine or rock crawler.

3. Matt VDW

Sep 23, 1999
    Ohio
    "Bimbo box"? Is that slang for a minivan? :rollsmiley:

I was thinking about ordinary, compact and mid-sized passenger cars - sedans, hatchbacks, et cetera.

I've read that ABS is most useful on heavier vehicles and less useful on lightweights. My own experience has been that it's useful for maintaining control during hard stops in a Taurus and a Camry but I don't think I've ever used it to avoid a collision.

4. frefoo

frefoo

Apr 4, 2004
    Northen VA

5. Matt VDW

Sep 23, 1999
    Ohio
    Yes, that's a good point.

There are two aspects of safety: avoiding accidents and surviving accidents. It's best to avoid getting into an accident in the first place, but sometimes someone else's mistake puts you into a situation where your driving ability can't save you.

For instance, I was once rear-ended when I pulled over for an ambulance. A woman driving behind me sped through an intersection to beat the ambulance and ran into my truck. There was no way I could have escaped.