Rate the top 4 semi-custom builds

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by GOOFA, Oct 6, 2012.

1. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Very well stated

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I wish Unertl still built 1911s. They were awesome. :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Not an issue for me, I won't have an ambi safety on a pistol I carry. In any event, if you order custom built they will put on whatever safety you want. At that price point, I'm not going into a LGS and buying one off the shelf.

4. I'm eluding to an example of their mentality. Why put a sub-par ambi on a $2500+ 1911? Why pay that much for a Remsport frame and slide with shyty checking, sometimes with no undercut? What parts do they honestly make? Sorry they just don't measure up for the price they want. Nice guns...... but for the money you might aswell be lookng at a DW.

When the competition is making their own stuff and charging the same amount it's a no brainer.

5. You bring up some good points, MD. Both my Nighthawks were built years ago. They both have ambi safeties, but strangely, only one uses the Kimber version.

6. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

:agree:

7. They definately don't put finish as their biggest priority, but more important for me is that the build quality is there, and they're hundreds of dollars cheaper than everyone else on the list.

I need to get my hands on a No Name. :cool:

8. faawrenchbndr

CLM

You do have a very valid point.

9. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Yes you do. :thumbsup:

10. :thumbsup:

11. faawrenchbndr

CLM

Yep,........:whistling:

[​IMG]

#31 faawrenchbndr, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  12. Jeez, talk about peer pressure.

13. That's what this site is all about, Cody. ;)

14. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember
    CLM

I find it intersting what has changed on this list. ~10 years ago it was pretty solidly Wilson, Baer, Brown. Springfield Custom Shop and Guncrafter Industries are now on everybody's list who owns one.

15. faawrenchbndr

CLM

You know I HAD to do it. :embarassed:

16. :rofl: I guess I've dished out my fair share of peer pressure too.

17. I agree. My experience is LB bluing is just adequate. My PII after 2000 rounds still requires a bushing wrench and the slide release still a PITA.

18. Yes you have.

... and what goes around comes around, my friend. ;)

:rofl:

19. You have to go with stainless or hard chrome when buying a Baer, in my opinion.

20. It's crazy that a 1911 builder actually builds them to be shot. Weird.