close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rape victim denied emergency contraception by ER nurse.

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Gunhaver, May 31, 2012.

1. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

2. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    The world is filled with wierd doctors. Have you ever met a normal one? I haven't.

3. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    Nothing would stop her from picking up at a local pharmacy. She doesn't need the Doc to give it to her. She could always get it from another Doc. No need to force this doc from providing if he/she is opposed to it.

4. steve1988

steve1988

Feb 5, 2009
    Ft. Meade, MD
    I believe that life begins at conception. I don't believe this because of any kind of religion. I believe that abortion or anti-implantation drugs are the moral equivalent of murder. Giving someone that drug would make me an accessory to murder, according to my moral standards. Should someone be able to force me to break my moral code? Why does religion have to enter into it at all?

5. steve1988

steve1988

Feb 5, 2009
    Ft. Meade, MD
    Furthermore, "do no harm" could easily be applied to the unborn child. No oath broken there.

6. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    BS. If you can't do your job because your religion prohibits you from performing every function that job may require then find a new job if you're so devout.

You can get aspirin over the counter. If you go to the ER with a condition that requires aspirin AND GETS WORSE THE LONGER YOU GO WITHOUT IT and the doc says, "Sorry, against my religion!" that's screwed up.

7. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012

You might want to consider that before you go into the medical field. You're moral issues, however you arrived at them, have no bearing on the patient's treatment.

8. steve1988

steve1988

Feb 5, 2009
    Ft. Meade, MD
    So if someone needs a heart transplant, I should just go murder someone to get a heart? By the way, I didn't mean to imply that I was interested in the medical field. My job is pretty much the opposite of a doctor.

9. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    I disagree. She wasn't going to get anymore pregnant without an abortion pill than if she waited a few hours. She had to go somewhere else for the rape kit anyway. It would have diffused the situation if the doc had just got another doc that did not have an issue with dispensing the pill.

No pressing need to force the doc to murder the fetus that likely doesn't even exist. You can always get another one to do that. Sounds like you just want to be outraged.

10. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Murdering someone for their heart is equal to preventing the implantation of a cell that's divided a few hundred times? And you arrived at this conclusion by purely non-religious means?

:rofl:

What would you consider worse, a woman taking birth control pills or drowning her 10 year old child in the bathtub?

11. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    What rights does an unborn human being have?

12. Altaris

Altaris

Feb 16, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    That would apply to any job field. I would like to see a car salesman tell the boss, sorry I can't work and sell cars on the sabbath. I have a feeling he would be shown the door.

13. Tilley

Tilley Man of Steel

Mar 21, 2006
    USA
    Are you freaking crazy!!! Step away from the ballot box...

Okay...let's reason together. Let's say you are an ER doctor, and I am a victim of a gunshot about to die. I look up at your kind face and say, "Please kind sir, I am about to die. Please say a prayer for me to Jesus right now so I can go to Heaven."

What do you do?

14. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    The drug is less effective the longer you wait to take it so yes, she was in a situation where she was at greater risk of pregnancy the longer she went without the pill. And the doc isn't murdering anyone by handing her a pill. You can place that blame on the rape victim if you're one of those. This is quite a different situation from late term abortions.

15. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    Does a woman have a right to choose who impregnates her, even if by force?

16. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    How does that compare to the situation at all? If prayer had gone through drug trials and been proven to be as effective as any medication that passes I'd not only be happy to pray for you but I'd be doing so as a devout believer in god.

17. void *

void * Dereference Me!

I would hope that doctor wouldn't do something that would make that person think they were judgmental, whether the prayer was said or not.

Which is really the thing that bugs me about this. If you're a doctor and your personal belief system says you can't hand the lady the pill, fine, don't do it. Hand her off to someone who will, or make sure that the next hospital will, or whatever ... but the last thing a rape victim needs is a doctor who refuses the pill with a "judgmental attitude".

18. SIGlock

SIGlock Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1999
    Rocket City, USA
    "Stupid is as stupid does"
    Forrest Gump

19. Travelin' Jack

Travelin' Jack Misinformed

Jul 20, 2007
    0 .· ` ' / ·. 200