close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Range was Almost Vacant Today!

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by SBray, Apr 23, 2013.

1. SBray

SBray

May 5, 2012
    Loomis, California
    I went to the local range today since it was a mild sunny day. I found there were only four or five shooters there. Normally the range is very busy, even in the middle of the week, and weekends are crazy, you have to wait for a bench! When I first drove up and saw but three or four cars in the parking lot, I thought they were closing early.

The consensus was that most people didn't have ammo to shoot, or if they did, they were saving it.

Steve

2. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    Agreed that and there wasn't much brass to be picked,but it was a enjoyable day at the range. SJ 40

3. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

Jul 30, 2005
    Louisville, KY

Same here. We have ammo but it is not cheap.

4. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was at the range Tuesday as well. It looked pretty quiet except for the various agency training programs (they rent some of the ranges). A couple of guys shooting 300Y and one shooting 100Y and I didn't see any pistol shooters.

I asked about it and apparently it was just a quiet day because total attendance isn't down but hours spent shooting is. So, people still shoot what they can get but they can't get as much.

The range had a lot of factory ammo which is a vast improvement from a month ago. I didn't look at the prices. When I bought a box of .40 JHP last month it was very overpriced.

I don't know what it looks like on the weekend. I tend to shoot action pistol and those ranges are pretty much booked by the competition groups on weekends so we shoot during the week.

Bright sunshine, plenty of ammo, fun shooting... What a great day!

Richard

5. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Aug 8, 1999
    Great Southwest
    Affirmative. Things are slow at our ranges too.

The Border Patrol and U.S. Customs guys are still firing their automatic weapons though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    At the range I frequent it's always packed, especially Saturdays and Sundays. One Saturday there was a line of people waiting for it to open.

7. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

Feb 6, 2012
    middle of PRK
    my local range seems busier now

I used to be able to go there on weekends and have some peace but now I have to be around other people

8. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    Last time I went to the range it was packed. There was even a guy selling ammo out of his truck, .223 $20 per 20 WoW. People where lining up though.

9. G36_Me

G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    The indoor range here is quiet. Quieter than I've seen it ever in the past years. My theory is ammo price killing the sport. They are killing off our sport through the back door. Hopefully we can keep the bad laws off the books and the our game will recover.

10. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    I was at the Pima County (Arizona, just south of Tucson) range today around noon or a bit later. When I arrived there were four or five tables with shooters. When I finished up (after an hour or so) I was ALONE! Range was empty of shooters. Period. Three range officers were there when I left.

Weather was beautiful but a bit breezy. Still, no one shooting at this really nice facility??

:shocked:

11. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Maybe some of those snooty ranges will lift the restriction on reloads so they can rent out some range time.

12. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    No ammo restrictions at the Pima County range.

13. phonejack

phonejack

Jun 28, 2009
    arkansas
    My club has 900+ members. Being retired I go during the week. Every since the shortage started there is never more than 2or3 people besides me. Usually I am alone. I try to go once a week.

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Oct 19, 2011
    Indoor ranges tend to be predatory about selling their ammo only and the price is usually completely unbelievable.

$50 for a box of .40 S&W will limit anybody's shooting.

I was at the LGS today and they had a bunch of small pistol primers - maybe 10k or so. At $46/1000, they'll have them for a while.

Richard

15. I shoot at my club on Saturday mornings. I generally never see anyone, except in the summer maybe one or two others.
    Today the Cowboy shooters were setting up for tomorrows match-so I shot on the rifle range.
    .17 Remington with my reloads. I enjoy shooting this caliber, except I dont have very many cases.
    Also my .22 RWS 56 spring air gun.
    Good times.

16. CaptainXL

CaptainXL

Nov 20, 2009
    Illinois
    Being semi-retired I try to shoot during the week and not on weekends. I belong to a private club and usually, but not always, have the range to myself during the week. Our pistol range is an outdoor range and has only 3 lanes. As a result when it is crowded on the weekends everyone takes turns shooting. If someone needs to reload mags they get off of the line and someone who has mags loaded shoots. It works out fairly well.

Last Friday the range was fairly muddy due to a lot of rain earlier in the week. Range use must be down due to the fact that there was no brass (other than .22's) in our spent brass bucket. To the best of my knowledge there are only two other reloaders in the club and they pick up only .38's & .45's so I was real surprised that there were no 40's of 9's laying on the ground or in the bucket. The only thing that I can figure is that shooting at the club is way down.

Ammo is real hard to find in our area. There is one LGS that seems to keep a small supply of ammo on hand but he is raping people on the price. My best guess is that he is having to pay a "premium" to get the ammo himself.

Shooting is down. Very little range brass.

17. vtducrider

vtducrider

Nov 13, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, pretty dead at the pit where a lot of the locals go shooting. I was alone, which was nice. Also managed to pick up a few handfuls of 45 and 40 brass, in addition to my own.

18. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Spent brass is a poor indicator these days. I could always count on plenty of brass at my club. Now, no matter what time of day you go, the buckets are completely empty. Some person, or persons, is stopping several times a day at the range and dumping everything into a bag and keeping them. There is no way anyone can use that much brass, so they must be selling it. It violates the law of "what's right".

19. fredj338

fredj338

Dec 22, 2004
    so.cal.
    We had less than 50 shooters last Sat for IDPA, smallest group in the two years I have been shooting at that club. Most of the guys shoot factory ammo, so maybe things are getting short. We shoot twice a month so next match will be interesting.

20. Wow, at least 80-90% of IDPA shooters at my club are reloaders - but everyone is straight up about picking up brass (at practices) and returning it to the 'owner'.

That's where I got some of my original Titegroup recipes to compare and build on. Lotta TG users, and a few N320s.