close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Range test after mods?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ManimalsKingdom, Jan 17, 2013.

1. ManimalsKingdom

ManimalsKingdom

Sep 1, 2012
    CT
    Im about ready to mod, for the first time, a glock 26 with an ext mag release and ext slide release

Do i really need to range test right after or should functionality be spot on as long as a mag drop test and a slide release test performs as it should?

2. 24601

Oct 7, 2012
    for those mods, i wouldn't worry about it....as long as you can drop the mag without issue and the slide release catches/releases the slide...

3. ManimalsKingdom

ManimalsKingdom

Sep 1, 2012
    CT
    that's what im thinking - but would hate to find out otherwise in a crucial moment.....but these seemed like simple mods that could be functionally tested right away

i just wanna tinker with the new parts tonight! but cannot get range time till SAT

4. Stlbrian

Stlbrian

Jun 24, 2012
    St. Louis
    Beware of the extended slide release. I have seen countless threads where the gun will fail to return to battery after the installation. It is caused by your grip on the gun engaging the slide release.

I seriously doubt you will have any problems, but I would ALWAYS shoot it to ensure functionality before I trust my life with it.

My .02

5. ManimalsKingdom

ManimalsKingdom

Sep 1, 2012
    CT
    sometimes you just have to hear it from someone else - safer than sorry - thanks brian - ill hold off and mod at the range

6. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Jun 20, 2010
    Texas
    Wise words from Stlbrian. I would function check a pistol under actual firing conditions after the replacement of a slide stop lever (what y'all are calling the slide release). I presume you double checked that the slide stop lever spring is installed properly under the locking block pin.

Besides a thumb contacting a newly-installed extended slide stop lever during firing, an improperly installed slide stop lever is notorious for causing the slide to lock back early even though there are still cartridges in the mag.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  7. donmor53

donmor53

Jan 4, 2013
    I've had both mods on my 27 for over 10 years.

No problems what so ever and they certainly made their functions more easy for my fumble fingers.

8. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Agree. Assuming correct re-assembly, the most common problem is the shooters thumb hitting the slide release at the wrong time.

9. SJ 40

SJ 40

Jan 17, 2011
    Vermont
    This is just me but I would want to live fire the gun before placing it in CCW rotation.
    You will most likely have 0 problems but on a CCW gun is not something I'm willing to chance. SJ 40

10. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    For carry or defensive use yes I would function test before placing into use.
    Never can tell so check it out.

11. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    Better safe than sorry.
    I function test almost any mod with live fire before I'll carry it.

Don't you really want any excuse to go to the range anyway? LOL

12. I'm an Armorer and won't shoot a freshly disassembled and cleaned Glock at a match without trying other live-fire first. For most, SD/HD is more critical than a match.

13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    As long as the parts are Glock, you're fine. But you do need to shoot the gun to see if the different controls cause you to do things you didn't intend to.

14. up1911fan

up1911fan

Mar 12, 2009
    Upper Michigan
    I try and do any mod's at the range or right before heading there.

15. danysw

danysw

Jan 14, 2013
    South East Florida
    Any time you mod/ change/ replace a part of a firearm youshould fire the gun to test how it works and how you can handle the newchanges. For example, if you change the slide stop lever maybe your thumb couldinterfere with it and the slide would never get backward after the last roundand that’s something you want to know before a match or ever worst a defensive situation. IMHO after every mod a visit to the range is a priority.

16. Insert "or disassemble and clean".

17. ManimalsKingdom

ManimalsKingdom

Sep 1, 2012
    CT
    sounds good guys
    i held of on the mods until tomorrow at the range

18. danysw

danysw

Jan 14, 2013
    South East Florida
    True :cool: that's why my EDC gets cleaned before going to the range and not after like my other range toys.