close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Range report with new Les Baer

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by gamecocks, Aug 8, 2014.

1. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    Well, just got home from an awesome trip to the range with my new Les Baer UTC. The gun feels and shoots wonderfully. I put 200 rounds of federal 230g fmj and a box of 20 federal HST 230g HPs. I did have a few minor problems, but expected I might have a few hiccups early on. I ran it pretty wet, but think maybe not quite wet enough, as most issues would happen after a handful of mags had been shot since last oiling. Anyway, in the 1st 100 or 125 rounds, I had 2 failure to feeds, both on the last round in the magazine. Also had it try to feed 2 rounds twice. Also had 3 times where the gun needed a slap on the back of the slide to get it fully into battery. Again, I expected a few issues early on. It ran flawlessly the last 50-75 rounds. It definitely felt like it smoothed out somewhat. Both the trigger, and racking the slide feel a little smoother now.(maybe just in my mind, who knows). Hopefully the problems will occur less and less as I shoot it. Anyway, not too much else to say really...love this gun, feels great, shoot great, and is absolutely beautiful. Here are some dirty pics after shooting, before wiping down.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And finally, my first 6 mags. 3 to the chest, 3 to the head, @10yards. Not perfect, but pretty good shooting. Just offhand, probably a shot every second or two.
    [​IMG]

2. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    I am not a big Glock fan, preferring my 1911s, but I think it is a darned shame a big name like Baer cannot deliver a working gun. A gun that requires break in at customer expense is an unfinished product.

3. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have a hard time disagreeing with this, and it's very fair, especially after you just read my range report above. That said, I bought this gun mostly just for a range toy so I am not too bummed my range session today wasn't perfect. Even with a few jams, I'm pretty sure I was grinning ear to ear, and shooting very well for my first range trip in about 4-5 months. But again, cannot really argue your point.

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Congrats on the beautiful pistol, and nice shooting.

5. ojabog

ojabog

Oct 5, 2011
    Congrats on the Baer. They are phenominal guns. I recently bought a Sw1911Performance Center and having same issues. Had to tap into battery twice, one FTE in the first 75 rounds. Disheartening to pay all that money and have it not run out of the box. Praying it will loosen up and run with more usage.

6. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks, Berto!

Ojabog-I'm sort of thinking the same thing. If the problems go away soon, I won't mind though. I feel like the last 50-75 rounds today were fine. Hopefully it is already smoothing out the problems. Fingers crossed.

7. ojabog

ojabog

Oct 5, 2011
    Best of luck with the Baer. Im sure it will end up being just fine.

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I agree with JW's point, but at the same time roughly 50% of the new pistols I've brought home over the years were sketchy in the first few magazines, that includes a Glock.
    In fact, other than my Makarov and 3913, I'm pretty sure most of my pistols choked a few times until they got some real use.

9. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    That makes me feel better. Although I definitely wasn't stressing about it. If it doesn't improve, I'll be bothered, but I am expecting it to get better. Like I said, it did seem to get better as the round count went up today.

On a slightly different topic, the new range bag I ordered was waiting for me WHEN I GOT BACK FROM THE RANGE! Typical:supergrin: Oh well, looking forward to using it next trip.

10. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Awesome shooting indeed

Congrats again on an outstanding 1911. :thumbsup:

11. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks bac! Probably had my best trip to the range today, so I had to brag on it a little.:supergrin: Amazing how much easier it is to hold the steel 1911 steady, after getting so used to the light weight Glock 19 over the last year or so. Also, the trigicon sights on the Les Baer I like alot better than the stock Glock sights. I have been thinking about changing those for a long time, and this made my decision pretty easy. May go with something different like warren tactical, but haven't thought much about it yet. My mind is still too consumed with my new toy anyway.

12. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    GC,

Nice shooting brotha. I wouldnt worry about the FTF's on the first trip. Both my Baers took a while, but they did break in eventually. You may want to look into some better mags though. The Baer mags suck, IMO.

Ive had good luck with wilson etm's and chip mccormicks. Other guys here can tell you what they use. Invest $$$ in good mags though......it will help with a lot of headaches down the road. Baer makes a great full size pistol, but the mags and packaging suck:supergrin:

13. gamecocks

gamecocks

May 3, 2013
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the advice. I had heard the Baer mags weren't great. Maybe I'll try to find a few Wilsons sometime soon.

14. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    My Baer has yet to have a failure of any type.

15. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    What mags do Baer use? Baer? I don't own a Baer and never heard their mags suck. I'm kinda surprised he would let that happen.

16. wrx04

wrx04

Sep 25, 2008
    MI
    Les uses his own mags. They have no name or markings on them. Weak springs. I have six of them and they are, by far, the worst 1911 mags i own.

If you read up on it, i think most would agree they are sub-par. Like i said, with Baer you get a great gun. Thats about it.

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US

Flush fit 7-rds Tripp Research Cobra mags. Nuff said.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

18. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, there's not much comparison between a Les Baer and a Glock 19 at the range. :cool:

19. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Honestly, get something else, like Wilson or Chip McCormick. Baer mags are not the best.