close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Range report: KKM barrel for Glock 20...

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by danattherock, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Got my Glock 20 a new barrel from KKM and tried it out today at the range. In short, this is an exceptional upgrade from the factory barrel. The accuracy is notably improved. The shot dispersion is considerably smaller for this shooter compared to using the stock Glock barrel.

I have shot 600-700 rounds through my stock G20 so I am hardly an accomplished 10 mm shooter. Mostly 200 and 230 gr Double Tap as I bought this gun for a woods gun. Ran some 180 gr Remington UMC through it as well and that is what I used today in the new KKM barrel. Not premium ammo by most standards, but 150 rounds went flawlessly through the KKM. I suspect a custom tailored reload and practice will result in even tighter grouping. Immediately upon shooting this KKM barrel today I understand what the fuss is about.

Sorry for the crap images, I used my cell phone as I was rushed for time.

This is what you get...

[​IMG]

Out with the old, in with the new...

[​IMG]

Chamber support and feeding ramp shot...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Snug as a bug in a rug...

[​IMG]

My reward for donating $165 to the KKM fund. 15 shots off hand from 10 yards...

[​IMG]

-Dan

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Saberman

Saberman

Apr 14, 2011
    Im really thinking about a 10MM...........

3. MightyTygart

MightyTygart

Oct 25, 2010
    ky
    Put those thoughts into a cash transaction.....get one.

4. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

How hard? Just do it

5. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 Second2None

Thats awesome man i really need to quit messing around and get me one of those. Im still up in between a KKM and stormlake

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

6. Heard good things about both. In fact, I am soon ordering a 4 port Storm Lake 9 mm conversion barrel for my Glock 35 (40S&W). However, after shooting this KKM, I am curious about getting another KKM for that purpose. I do like the porting options on the Storm Lake for the G35. That pistol has the cut out on the top of the slide so the porting would be slick.

-Danh

7. NavyMSU

NavyMSU

Oct 26, 2011
    Houston, TX
    That KKM feed ramp looks a bit narrow.

Do us a favor and report any feed problems (which ammo) you might come across.

I'm interested in getting the KKM 10mm conversion barrel for my G30!

The stock just looks more forgiving.

8. JimIsland

JimIsland

Aug 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    "15 shots at 10 yards". Where did the other 2 rounds go??? lol J/k Nice group:) I think I'm going to order the 40 cal. barrel since I love the way my G20 fits in my hand.

9. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

Dec 18, 2010
    DisneyWorld
    Dan,

We need a 45degree picture (not straight from the top nor from the side), looking into how much the feed ramp covers the loaded round.

If KKM is "fully" supported, we would see the feedramp covers more, of the loaded brass than the stock barrel.

Thanks.

10. MarineHawk

MarineHawk

Oct 23, 2011
    And Dan, what kind of phone do you have? It takes better close-up pics than most cameras I think.

11. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    Glock barrels are far more forgiving, but they're meant for combat, not just fun at the range or hunting in ideal circumstances.

It's a bit foolish to use an aftermarket barrel in a carry pistol, imo. Sure, some of them might be pretty reliable, but none of them are as reliable as a Glock barrel.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

12. iPhone 4 with some quick post processing in Flickr before sharing.

13. Those are some nice pics for a phone..

14. No Mercy

No Mercy

Dec 17, 2004
    Texas
    I have a KKM in my G20 and G29. Never a problem. The fit and finish on them is excellant! Love them! ;)

15. Kegs

Kegs Ol 8 fingers ;)

Oct 26, 2009
    Cold side of conus
    The above is correct. That in the quote below is incorrect.

They are in fact easily as reliable as the stock barrel. I have both. I shoot a great deal I have not had one single feeding issue in any of the thousands of reasonably mfgr'd ammo (including my hand loads) fired through my KKM barrel. The Glock stock barrel has a chamber that is unnecessary loose for 100% reliability.

A stock Glock pistol will have a better chance having a KB! than my KKM barreled pistol failing to function properly.

I don't work for or have any professional relationship with KKM or any other aftermarket mfgrs. I am a customer and I know my pistols.

I carry KKM and full power 10mm loads. (135nos@1700fps avg. chronographed; 866FPE). 1"@25y for 10 shot groups slow fired. About the same for cqb drills @ 50'.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  16. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Thanks for the report, Im having trouble figuring out which barrel I want to get for my 20sf, I know I dont want a lonewolf since I already have a stock length barrel that has been giving me feeding issues. I was leaning towards a barsto, but now Im kinda back to kkm or stormlake...decisions decisions...oh ya, I want a six inch...quick question, why do the kkm barrels come in the EXACT same plastic package as the lonewolf barrels? It is a conspiracy i tell ya!

17. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    I think we're both right, Kegs.. or both have a point, anyway.

Aftermarket barrels might have close to the same reliability assuming everything is clean. When fouling and dirt/debris come into play, those "loose" chambers and wide feed ramps have a distinct advantage.

18. post-apocalyptic

Jul 27, 2011
    CO
    I think a couple terms considering 10mm ammo should be better defined. Imo, full-power 10mm should be used to describe ammo that is close to what was the standard load before they started pussifying it for the Feebs; 180gr @ 1300fps; 676FPE.

The "full power 10mm loads" you mention here are better described as super-power 10mm as they push the physical limitations of the cartridge.

Aftermarket barrels are not required, or even necessarily desirable for full-power 10mm rounds, only the super-power boutique stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to have an opportunity to start reloading 10mm myself, so I can have the satisfaction of working up my own muy caliente loads and eventually push the limits of the pistol and cartridge... but I get a whiff of elitism, (and misinformation), when the subject of "full-power 10mm" comes up on this forum sometimes.

If you believed everything you read here; you'd think that your Glock would kaboom the moment you tried to fire something hotter than UMC out of a stock barrel and that ammo loaded to NORMA standards, (what I argue is indeed full-power above), is little better than .40, and that's just ridiculous. :upeyes: