close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Report - Advantage Arms and KCI Mags

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Schrag4, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Schrag4

Schrag4

Ok, so I hit the range today intending to shoot a bunch of .22LR through my Advantage Arms LE17-22 (for my Gen3 Glock22) and finish up with a box of 40S&W. I went with my brother, and we ended up sharing a lane, so I didn't get quite as much shooting in as I would have liked because we were trying to keep it under an hour.

Anyway, I ended up putting 160 rounds through my Advantage Arms kit. I was pleasantly surprised to have zero extraction/ejection problems this time out! Definitely a departure from my previous 3 trips to the range with this thing (see my previous AA report here). I was using a 550 pack of Remington Golden Bullets (36 gr). I did, however, experience something strange. I guess they're technically failures to feed, but they're not like FTF's that I've had in the past. Usually, when this thing FsTF, I have to drop the mag to clear the failure. Today, either 2 or 3 times, I pulled the trigger, nothing happened, I assumed it was a bad primer, so after waiting a moment I racked the slide, but nothing came out. The next round then (finally) chambered and fired just fine.

It's as if it failed to even grab the round off the top of the mag. Is that a common failure? I should point out that my kit came with 1 mag and I recently purchased 2 more from Ambient Outdoors. I wasn't paying attention to which mag experienced the problem except on the last one, which was one of the new mags. I'm hoping this isn't a common occurrence, although 3 failures out of 160 rounds is far-FAR fewer failures than I have been experiencing with this kit up until today. I'm actually somewhat astonished by how much better this thing did today. I don't know if I lubed it differently or if it's just finally broken in (I have almost 1100 rounds through it now).

As I said, I finished the range session with 50 rounds of Fed Champion 40S&W range ammo, and as the title suggests, I was using KCI mags (4 mags, 12 or 13 rounds loaded in each). These are the same mags I reviewed here. Let me say that until today, I have never experienced any issue with these mags, and I've probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 rounds total through these mags, spread between them. On one of the 4 mags, today, however, I experienced 2 failures to feed BACK TO BACK. It was like BANG-failure to feed. Dropped the mag, locked the slide back (dropping the round through the mag well), put it back in the mag and the mag back in the gun, racked the slide, BANG-failure to feed. Both failures looked exactly the same, with the next round seemingly pointing "too high" to feed into the chamber. At this point I really feel these were both mag-related, although I don't know for sure. I've marked the mag, so I'll use that mag exclusively next time I'm out to see if I can reproduce the problem.

I would be interested to hear the theories you guys and gals have about what might have caused both the Advantage Arms failures and the failures with the KCI G22 mags. I hope myself and others can learn from my experience and your wisdom. Thanks for reading!

2. zeme05

zeme05

I've got 5 KCI G19 mags and have used them extensively for range use with no problems at all. I had one G17 mag that didn't work well so I took it apart and found excess poly that I cut out on the inside and that solved the problem.

3. ElrodCod

ElrodCod

Weak spring in the KCI mag.

4. multo17

multo17

I have several KCI mags for my G26 (for Glocks 17 & 19) & they work fine! However, they are mainly used for range. I had only one FTF from one of the KCI G17 mag , but I think it was my fault. To make sure that this doesn't happen again, I did buy extra power mag springs for my KCI Glock 17 mags from Wolff, & placed the KCI Glock 17 mag springs on the KCI Glock 19 mags! So far no problems after 150 rds using mostly 115 grain 9mm ammos.:cool:

5. girphoto

girphoto

I use KCI mags for my G19 Gen 4 at then range. I have even put a 2 mag extension on 2 of them. They work with no problems.
    I buy them at Cheaper Than Dirt for $9.95/ for 2 with a mag case. You can also get them at CDNN for $5.99/each.
    If you go to Lone Wolf, they are $12.99/each.
    I only use original Glock mags for carry with 15 +1 in my G19 G4.

6. AmandaM

AmandaM

I have six glock 17rd and eight 33rd mags by kci. I did have problems at first but soon realized it was due to weak springs. I took the cheap route and streched them by hand. I streched the 17rd spring to where four coils would hang out the bottom when the mag was disassembled and five for the 33rd. No problems since. I used these mags twice a week and leave them fully loaded when not in use.

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

I get those, but only since adding a dovetail mount and red dot sight to the slide, and slowing it down. My assumption is that mine is caused by the slide not moving rearward quite far enough on occasion. Did you check the edges of your ejector where it moves over the inside surface of the slide. As I mentioned in the other thread, my cycling improved when I took a stone to the edges and then polished the ejector; that was before putting on the RDS. You could also move the the higher energy 40gr Golden Bullets, but they are considerably more expensive.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  8. Schrag4

Schrag4

I have yet to polish anything on this kit, although I'm working up the nerve to do it, based on comments like yours. I've never polished anything before, so I'm nervous about damaging my kit. I'm probably being paranoid.

As for the "considerably more expensive" 40gr bullets...I'll pass. I can live with a few more failures if it means I save a bunch of money. The failure rate I had yesterday was low enough that it wasn't on my mind, distracting, when I was shooting, like it was the previous times I've used it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look tonight.

9. iontrap

iontrap

I have the same issue with my KCI mags. First couple of uses they were absolutely fine but leaving them loaded for a week then using them resulted in failure to feed problems.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

The ejector in this kit is not a precision part, and it would be really hard to hurt anything. Just remove the barrel and slide the ejector in and out of its slot while providing a bit of pressure up against the slide (as the barrel would normally provide). See if it doesn't feel a bit scratchy. The part is punched out and the surface against the slide has a sharp edge, almost a burr all the way around. In my case, hitting the edges with a stone and then polishing the surface seemed to provide a surface that I suspect could be achieved with 10K rds of shooting. Just don't mess with the shape of the hook that the barrel grabs onto.

11. Schrag4

Schrag4

That piece is certainly sharp, as you describe. I'll polish that first. Thanks!

12. repo4sale

repo4sale

AmandaM is ripping off Buyers on Line.
    Mario Campus
    200 Kellington 12105
    Kingwood TX 77339
    I need to get the active phone number for this person:
    I paid this person $330 and have not received my items.
    Your help is appreciated:
    JohnJasonChun.com
    Email for me is: repo4sale@yahoo.com
    Retired paralegal & Landlord
    Cell 949-254-3179
    Po Box 7249 Newport Beach CA 92658