Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Range Report : 930 SPX

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by ScrappyDoo, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm having major surgery in two weeks, and it could affect me for the rest of my life (and of course, I could just wake up dead)... Anyway for a 29yearold former badass its really starting to get to me, and shooting is really calming my nerves. So a week or two I went to the range for an hour and realized how relaxed it made me, I was really able to zone in and concentrate on the task and not on total disc replacement... so

I've been going almost every day. Mostly shooting .22's but I have several different .22's, all different styles, plenty ammo, and I usually bring something else. Well I drug out the Mossberg 930 SPX the other day.

To refresh, mine has a custom Choate +1 extension (rather than the factory Choate +3) and also the bright orange follower. To conclude before I even begin, this shotgun IS DEAD NUTS RELIABLE, ACCURATE, AND AWESOME!

I started out with all buckshot, with maybe 20-25 loads ... the 15 loads from the original box of Winchester 15 00 Buck I bought with the gun in Jan/Feb... I shot the 5 rounds of Hornady TAP I usually keep in the tube, and then the buck in the stock saddle. Then I used whatever remaining loose buck I had, and let me tell you, this thing PACKS A WALLOP but with the ghost ring sights, its dead accurate. I literally at around, 7-15 yards, had the entire silhouette of circles/person on the target removed, working inside-out.

Then I moved to some cheaper 7 1/2 and 8 shot birdshots I had lying around, while kicking much less, they still had tight patterns close and cycled fine. I can not stress enough the reliability. I actually tried to mess around by loading only a few shells, packing it full of shells, one less, two less, etc... At all times perfectly reliable.

I am not experienced with the FN SLP nor it's alternate pistons, so I can't speak of that. And of course there are many other great shotguns. But I bought the Mossberg 930 SPX because when I joined GT on Jan, the 930 SPX was *ALL THE RAGE* and there were LOTS of posts across this forum about people wanting them and not finding them. If you recall, I had fallen for the Benelli M2 Tactical for over $1200 and wanted it bad, and I had that money saved, but when I stumbled upon the SPX accidentially at Dick's, I had to have it, and I am very very happy.

Let me ask those more familiar like Mr. McGuire and Mixflip, will these guns (Mr McGuire, gas-operated semis, and Mixflip, the 930 SPX specific, ) will they "soften" and "break in" as they get used or is there no "break in period?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
  2. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    I am no expert but my 930SPX doesnt seem to have changed? It has been running the same since day one. Reliably! I have only ran a little over 1000 rounds through it though. Summer was blazing hot so I didnt get out to the desert that much. Thank God for fall!!!!

The only thing I think I noticed is that is cycles slightly slower as it gets dirty at th eend of a long day blasting. i dont know if its really slower due to carbon build up or I am just tired though?

I would think that any machine that has interfacing metal parts will eventually find their sweet spot and it will run better over time. (if parts dont break)
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2010