close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Range Officer Sights?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by bjenkins, Aug 25, 2014.

1. bjenkins

bjenkins

Aug 20, 2014
    Okay so I went and looked at the Range Officer today and just want to know if you guys are using the stock sights or are there better after market options?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    For what use?

If its just for the range, the stock sights are great.

3. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    I changed the front sight on my RO to a fiber optic that is a bit narrower from Dawson.
    Mine is just a fun/target gun.

4. bjenkins

bjenkins

Aug 20, 2014
    Yea it would be for the range, guess I just didn't think the sights fit the rest of the gun.

5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Well, its just a set of target sights. They don't look overly pretty, but they give a good sight picture. You could always go with a fiber optic front sight for even better acquisition.

6. garander

garander

Nov 29, 2001
    When the time comes to make a sighting change you will appreciate them.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  7. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Jul 10, 2001
    Alabama
    If you don't like the rather blocky ADJUSTABLE rear sight, get a Loaded or a Mil Spec.
    They are all the same gun, mechanically.

8. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Apr 14, 2013
    I kept mine stock. I usually don't care for the look of target sights and everyone seems to complain about the all-black sights on the RO. The funny thing, is everyone that complains about them, shoots very well with them. Besides that, my RO has one of the sweetest triggers I own.

9. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    The RO was attractive to me because of the target sights. I have many 1911's. Several with Novaks, one with the tiny GI sights, and several with the high profile national match type sights.

Most every gun I have that doesn't have a good set of target sights in them, just doesn't get shot. I have been thinking about sending several guns off to Springfield to have them cut the slides and install target sights.

I know some don't like them, but its easier to change a sight setting than it is to tailor a load to shoot accurately in a fixed sight gun. Sure you can adjust for windage on a fixed sight gun, but what if it's shooting 6" high. Changing front sights suck, especially if they are pinned, crimped, or staked.

10. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    I traded my RO, but that gun made me look like a good shot at the range :rofl:

11. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    Solid plain black sights make precise shots especially at 25 yards and beyond easier to make. They may not be easy to pick up for close range combat type shooting but I have found accuracy with plain sights tends to be much better than the combat type sights- I was raised a bullseye shooter so that is what I am used to as well. I have seen tons of people find fiber optic and dot sights result in shots high or low because the dots rarely regulate to the poi and poa but the actual sights are much more likely to

12. Yup the sights are very nice for target shooting. If you are into plinking cans at the range then maybe change them a bit.

13. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I have thought about putting a fiber optic front sight on something, just for my Dad to try. I know he has trouble picking up the front sight, but he won't admit it.