close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range of a 9mm Carbine?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Glocktalkfan, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Glocktalkfan

Glocktalkfan
    Expand Collapse

Hi all,

to which distance can a 9 mm Carbine as a Beretta CX 4 Storm deliver effective hits?
    Anybody have facts about penetration power at lets say 150 yards of this caliber?

Thanks

GTF

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Shortimer

Shortimer
    Expand Collapse

I don't know for sure but IMHO I stink that's pushing the limits for accuracy & energy. I would think about 100 yds would be the maxium effective range. With that said I wouldn't want anyone shooting at me at 150 yds. I would rather be alive & wrong than dead & right.

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden
    Expand Collapse
    Viva Hate
    CLM

The 9mm is a pretty efficient cartridge, it doesn't gain much (200 fps at the most) going from a pistol to a carbine.

It would be pretty easy to stay on target at 100 yards, but the trajectory is such that you would need to be pretty careful about where you zero.
    IIRC, out of an old Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm we were hitting about 8 inches low at 100 yards when sighted in for 50 yards.

4. CAcop

CAcop
    Expand Collapse

Our MP5s in 10mm were easy to hit the target at 50 yards. We never shot them farther than that but I suspect 150 wouldn't be too hard. I thik it would have to do more with bullet drop and theoretical accuracy of that gun.

5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

You sighted in near the top of the arc, try 25 yards next time and you will be dead on at 100 yards.

After 100 yard a 9mm round will start dropping fast. I say the effective range is maxed at 150 yards, even thoug at 200 yards the round will still have the power of a .380 round coming out of the muzzle of a pistol.

[​IMG]

#5 Bilbo Bagins, Jan 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

That chart pretty well confirms what I'm getting with my Colt 9mm AR-15. I sighted it in at 25 and am pretty close at 100. I can hold on the head out to nearly 200 and still hit center mass. Accuracy and power loss past 200 yards make hitting at longer ranges unrealistic. As far as terminal effectiveness, it should give typical 9mm performance out to 100 yards. It drops into the .380 power spectrum past that, and down from there. It would still be lethal at longer ranges, but I think you're immediate incapacitations would decrease in frequency pretty fast past 100 yards, and definitely past 200 yards.

The short version is that I zero at 100 yards and have faith in the terminal effects to that point. I can stretch it to almost 200 and still feel it's worth spending the ammo. Past that I'd be wishing I had something more powerful.

7. TylerDurden

TylerDurden
    Expand Collapse
    Viva Hate
    CLM

I still don't really see the point of pistol caliber carbines. My friend's Camp Carbine was fun to shoot, but no more so than a good .22 and more expensive to feed.

I guess they would make good suppressor hosts, but as fighting guns they're too big to conceal and not powerful enough to replace a rifle.

8. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26
    Expand Collapse

+1...unless it has a "full auto" switch...I don't see much value in a pistol caliber carbine. Personally, I prefer a 5.56mm M4gery.

9. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

For the most part I'd agree with you, but there is a niche for them.

First, they can be practiced with at indoor ranges. Second (as you mentioned), they can be suppressed more effectively. Third, they are much more efficient as SBR's if your state allows them. Fourth, they allow you to practice with 5.56 type recoil for half the price. Finally, it gives you a long gun that is still terminally effective, but without introducing a weapon that will punch through the body armor of other good guys (making it a good option for team tactics).

10. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt
    Expand Collapse

Several years ago when I was farming in ND, I bought an UZI for a skunk gun in the tractor. Seeing how it had a sight for 200 meters and that ND is rifleman country with ranges that easily go out to 200 meters and WAY beyond, I had to try it on a B-27 silhouette. I had no problems making body shots at 200 meters with 115 and 124 grain rounds. However, comma, pause for effect, I look at a 9mm carbine at 200 meters much the same as a 5.56mm at 500 meters. Can you make a hit? Sure, easy. However, will it do much damage to the target at that range? Well, it will probably poke a hole but how much stopping power it's going to retain is another question.
    As to what the need for a PCC might be? Well, as I already pointed out, even with a 16" barrel, an UZI with a collapsing stock make for a pretty compact package that will fit in some pretty tight spots that a full size rifle or even a carbine will not. I think that in a SHTF scenario, it's lack of recoil, muzzle flash and muzzle blast makes it a better choice for those that are recoil and blast sensitive than a rifle caliber carbine yet still have better punch than a .22LR rifle. For night shooting, the lack of muzzle flash really is another advantage over any rifle I have tried short of a .22 rifle but again, you are looking at far better stopping power as well. Recently I also added a Sterling carbine and like the UZI, it has it's place. Would either of them be my first, second or even third choice for a grab-and-go gun? Nope, but I wouldn't discount their utility either.

11. SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock

SeeJohnLikeSig&Glock
    Expand Collapse

Speaking of the cx4 below...
    At 50 meters and less, its accuracy is very good. If I do my part, it does its part. At 100 meters the wheels fall off the bus for accuracy. Its not just simple bullet drop in my experience. Groups widen pretty consistently with several different loads. I can make head shots easy at 50meters, but at 100 it's body shots and much larger groups.

As for penetrating ability, I think Bilbo's chart shows that at 150 meters with +P rounds, it can still be an o.k. stopper.

As for "whats the use?" comments...
    Its a straight up plinker. Its a fun gun to shoot. It should cost a lot less though. In my opinion it shoudnt go for 700.00, more like 500.00

12. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I'd say 100 yards is about as far as one should push a 9mm carbine.

13. BSG62

BSG62
    Expand Collapse
    Pistolero

I could hit the target @ 200 yards with my 9mm CX4, but it involved aiming quite a bit above the point of impact.
    100 yards was pretty consistent, and accurate.

14. EL COLONEL

EL COLONEL
    Expand Collapse

75 yards...............:whistling:

15. Cole125

Cole125
    Expand Collapse
    Silver Member

As has been said the practical range is about 100 yards before the bullet starts to drop.

16. desertfox

desertfox
    Expand Collapse
    <font color="red">Suspended</font>

I no longer have the M16, but did keep a few of the uppers to go one my SBRs. one of which is my intergally suppressed 9mm. about 12.5" from the receiver to the end of the suppressor. very quite with 147grn subsonic. still really quite with 115 grn ammo and accurate out to 100 yards. I did a carbine course with it. itnstructor did not totally like the idea I was using a pistol caliber, but did admit by the end of the class that it was a pretty good setup (except for being pistol caliber).........

17. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

The bullet starts to drop right away, as they all do.

F=MA

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

I've seen a 9mm Hipoint carbine on a windy day shot at a paper plate make every other round hit. At 150 yards off a bench.

Most 9's can hit that far out but as USMC03 said, they won't be doing a hell of a lot when they arrive. Better than no hit at all, but i'd rather have a real rifle caliber.

19. -gunut-

-gunut-
    Expand Collapse

Well the last 124gr +P ammo I bought said it dropped to around 1,200fps at 100 yards. Add a couple hundred out of the muzzle with a longer barrel and I am guessing it would be effective at around 200, though 100-150 would probably be a better usable range.

20. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348
    Expand Collapse
    Happy Member

Y'all should blast a few milk jugs full of water and/or some wet phone books out at 100m & 150m and let us know the results.

I've blasted a jackrabbit or two out at 150 or so with my .357 Timberwolf rifle and they went clean through. 110g JHPs