close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Range Day With My 45 Caliber Handguns

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by awpk03s, Dec 7, 2010.

1. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    This past weekend, I took advantage of a cold wintry day and went to my local indoor range - taking advantage of a gift certificate from my lovely wife.

The first pistol I shot was my Nighthawk Enforcer Recon. I fired 150 rounds through it to test for accuracy, function, and reliability. As this is primarily a home defense and nightstand pistol, I did all test firing with my Surefire X300 mounted on the light rail.

Ammo Used:
    Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    Federal 230gr FMJ - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    Winchester Ranger 230gr +P JHP - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    Double Tap 230gr Gold Dot - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    Double Tap 200gr Gold Dot - Performed flawlessly with all mags.

Magazines Used:
    - Nighthawk 8 Round Blue Mags, mfg by ACT. These were flawless.
    - Nighthawk 8 Round Stainless Mags. These performed fine, but did not lock the slide back on an empty mag.
    - Wilson 47D. These were flawless.

Here's a photo of the target. 100 rounds at 10 rounds offhand. Overall I am very pleased with this pistol. Accuracy is quite good, and more than acceptable for my uses. Flawless reliability is what I expected, and received.
    [​IMG]

Next gun I shot was my Nighthawk Heinie Tactical Carry pistol.

Ammo Used:
    - Winchester White Box 230gr FMJ - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    - Federal 230gr FMJ - Performed flawlessly with all mags.
    - Winchester Ranger 230gr +P JHP - Performed flawlessly with Wilson Mags, and Nighthawk blued mags. The Nighthawk SS mags failed to feed the last round on ONE instance.
    - Double Tap 230gr Gold Dot - Performed flawlessly with Wilson Mags, and Nighthawk blued mags. The Nighthawk SS mags failed to feed the last round on ONE instance.
    - Double Tap 200gr Gold Dot - Performed flawlessly with Wilson Mags, and Nighthawk blued mags. The Nighthawk SS mags failed to feed the last round on ONE instance.

Magazines Used:
    - Nighthawk 8 Round Blue Mags, mfg by ACT. These were flawless.
    - Nighthawk 8 Round Stainless Mags. These performed fine, did lock back on empty, however with hollowpoints did not feed the final round on one instance with 3 separate mags.
    - Wilson 47D. These were flawless.

Here's a shot of the targets. Both were at 10 yards, offhand. The one on the left is with 50 hollowpoints, the one on the right is 100 FMJ.
    [​IMG]

Last up was my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk Convertible in 45LC/45ACP. I set up a target at 25 yards and loaded the 45ACP cylinder, and proceeded to fire most of a box of Blazer 230gr FMJ. Next I switched back to 45LC and did most of a box of Remington 250gr LRN. Again at 25 yards offhand.
    The 45ACP target is on the left, 45LC on the right.
    [​IMG]

I have to admit after all the 1911 shots, by the time I got to the Ruger, my hands were a little shaking and I think my accuracy suffered. Plus being an indoor range, it was not that well lit, and at 25 yards my black sights lined up on a mostly black target - gave me some problems.

To round out the day, I took a random shot target (I was out), and flipped it over, put a dot in the middle and sent it back down to 25 yards. I then shot 14 rounds of DoubleTap 300 grain +P XTP hollowpoints. These rounds make this revolver a real cannon. Flames burst out of the end of the 5.5" barrel and the recoil was harsh, but manageable for hunting.
    [​IMG]

All in all - a good day! Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. upnover97

upnover97 NRA member

Oct 7, 2007
    tulsa, ok
    looks like a good day to me!

3. 38 Super Fan

38 Super Fan

Jul 15, 2010
    KY
  4. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Something about touching off a 300 grain bullet from a a .45 Colt...

[​IMG]

:thumbsup:

5. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Nice!

1911club#410

6. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Mar 17, 2008
    PRK