close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Random phone calls from different people...wrong #s?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Mar 10, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Every so often I get a phone call asking for a random name, stay "Steve".
    Sorry, wrong number.
    Okay, sorry, bye. That's it.

Last night I got a call asking for a guy, I told him he had the wrong number. He apologized, and that was that. Never heard from him again.

This morning I get a text from a guy and I ask him who he's looking for, he gives me a random Arabic sounding name. I tell him he has the wrong number. So he phones me, tells me that my # (which apparently belongs to his friend) called him 6x last night.
    I tell him that I didn't call anybody. First thought in my head was somebody's spoofing my #.

Then he claims that this is his friend's #, and that he has had it for years and it's in his wife's phone too...

I tell him I've had the number for over 10 years. Eventually he apologizes and that's been the last of them.

Is it possible in this day and age to get cell phone signals crossed, or is somebody likely spoofing my # so that people call them on MY phone?

Thing about that is...they're claiming to be asking for a particular name, and both times it was completely different.

:dunno:
    If somebody is screwing around and using my number to do shady things, I'm going to be pissed, but also pissed that the cell phone company likely will do nothing but change my #.

Thoughts?

2. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Sounds like spoofing, and why be pissed at the phone company? There is nothing they can do BUT change your number. What else would you have them do?

3. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

Well not pissed at them, I suppose, but pissed that nothing can be done about it in the general sense of things.