close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ran into an interesting situation tonight...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Cletus, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cletus

Cletus
    Expand Collapse

Well, tonight I'm out with a friend getting some fast food around 10:00pm. We pull up to the drive-through and are looking at the menu, when out of the corner of my right eye I see a scruffy looking man approaching the passenger door. I am in the passenger seat with my window half way down and my seat belt on over my hoodie. I am carrying my g23 appendix @ 12 o'clock so the belt it over the gun. I also have an lcp in my back pocket with my wallet, without one chambered.

At this point the man in about 5 feet from me with his hands are in his very dirty hoodie's big front pocket. He looks like a complete bum, which is very rare to see in the nice part of town we were at. He starts to mumble something and motions me to roll down the window. I roll the window down all the way to hear what he is saying. He asks me if I am familiar with the area so I reply "yes." He starts feeding me some BS about how no one is helping him and he is out of gas and he just needs some money to get to some church function he is trying to get to. It's 10pm and this guy does not look like he owns a car.

He starts to get closer and closer to the car. I can smell alcohol coming off of him. There is a million things racing through my head. We are in a brand new BMW and I don't know if he's about to pull a gun from his pocket and carjack us or rob us. I can't get to my primary fast without unbuckling and pulling up my hoodie and shirt to draw and my secondary is in my back pocket unchambered.

He comes to about a foot away and crouches down next to the passenger door. He is still rambling on about how no one will help him and If I will just give him money he will leave us alone. I can't see his hands anymore due to his crouched position so I glance at my friend and give him the "let's GTFO here" look... I tell the guy I can't help him and start to roll the window up as my friend speeds away.

All I can think about now is the fact that I am safe. But in the back of my head I start thinking how it could have gone horribly wrong and what I would do. It really made me think it is time to buy a pocket holster and start carrying the lcp chambered. What do you do in a situation like this where your confined to a small area with a seat belt on if he pulled out a gun?

The situation turned out ok, but it makes me want to take a self defense class involving being in an automobile. I have seen a local martial arts studio in their parking lot doing drills with the blue training Glocks in cars. It might be worth looking into. Sorry for the long read but, I just wanted to see what your ideas may be.
    Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Cletus, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. F14Scott

F14Scott
    Expand Collapse
    Luggage
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

Driving away was the best idea of the night.

If you were stuck in the drive through, I would have rolled UP the window and used the time when the bum was trying to figure out his next move to unbuckle and get my hand on my CCW.

Often, my natural inclination is to do the opposite of what someone who is antagonizing me wants me to do. It changes the fight from a defensive one to an offensive one, one where the bad guy is now having to react to me.

3. Bucky89

Bucky89
    Expand Collapse

In some places, the police will buy you a small amount of gas.

Also, if he's drunk, it's probably best he's out of gas.

#3 Bucky89, Feb 10, 2012
  4. SpectreRider

SpectreRider
    Expand Collapse
    Armed Citizen

To start with, you roll the window up, not down.

5. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1
    Expand Collapse

You have not dealt with many drunk natives I gather.

6. 427

Expand Collapse

Why did you roll the window down? I would've just ignored the guy rather than make eye contact, much less talked to the vato.

7. Gregg702

Gregg702
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Seems like it. He should have kept the window up and ignored the guy.

8. Cletus

Cletus
    Expand Collapse

I have dealt with them on many occasions even in a car. But I feel as if I let my guard down because of where I was. Like I said it was a very nice part of town where there is virtually no bums. If I was in a sketchy part of town I feel as if I would have been in a different mindset. I would have been more alert and attentive to my surroundings. I let my guard down. But I should not have. I know rolling the window down was problem #1. There was a car in front of us so there was no going forward at the time. I also think if it was just me in my car I would have reacted much differently.

#8 Cletus, Feb 10, 2012
  9. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

I've been approached by drunks with a line hundreds of times. Never once did I feel like they were going to rob me or like I needed to draw a gun. But if he asked you for money and you really were that concerned with his mannerisms then that was the perfect opportunity to reach for your wallet and come out with the BUG instead. "Sorry, no cash on me, move along." and you have your gun in hand if he doesn't like your answer.

10. 4TS&W

4TS&W
    Expand Collapse
    2A RKBA 4EVER

You should have asked him for money first, tell him you don't have enough to supersize... they don't know what to say to that usually... :)

11. Geeorge

Geeorge
    Expand Collapse
    Sarcasm Inc.

That's what you get for being in a BMW:tongueout:

12. Cletus

Cletus
    Expand Collapse

That makes sense and Is one of the first things that came to mind when he asked for money. Having it unchambered is what stopped me from doing so. Another thing to think about, say I do pull my BUG and he then pulls out his gun and I fire making a non-fatal shot (all hypothetical talk) The cops come and hear the stories from both sides. I drew my weapon first and he combats that with pulling his gun in self defense...

#12 Cletus, Feb 10, 2012
  13. SPIN2010

SPIN2010
    Expand Collapse
    Searching ...

I actually had that exact thing happen to me one time. I was out on an FSE job, forgot my wallet and had a car crash with the replacement rental not having enough gas to get me back home (state away). I had a very nice Kentucky State Trooper offer to by me gas, we went to the car (which was at the pump, this is how I found I did not have my wallet was when I went to pay in advance). Funny part was this: He tried to put gas in it and it was full. When I went to pay in advance and found I did not have my wallet, someone on the inside of the truck stop authorized the pump and it had filled the car while I was inside figuring "How" I was going to pay. :dunno:

BTW way I sent a message to the KY gov for the trooper's service thanking him. :cool:

#13 SPIN2010, Feb 10, 2012
  14. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

He's a drunk bum who approached you asking for money. Story still looks bad for him. Odds are if he sauced and stumbling around asking for gas money he isn't carrying with a permit and if I were a cop/DA considering who to charge in a permit to permit shootout I'd charge the one with the obscene BAC. Drawing your gun from an awkward position where he can't see it isn't drawing down on him.

15. Glock40man

Glock40man
    Expand Collapse

It happens, you'll leave your window up next time.

16. JimBianchi

JimBianchi
    Expand Collapse
    Da Da
    CLM
    1. The Outpost Lounge

this.

17. Cletus

Cletus
    Expand Collapse

:embarassed: Was not thinking straight when it was time to do so. I guess I felt I was at an advantage, knowing I was carrying. It won't happen again. I'm just glad I can look back on this and think what could of happened all I want but knowing nothing did and learn from my mistake.

18. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Zombie Hunter

You should have reached for the lysol, not the CCW.

iPhone 4

19. razageorge

razageorge
    Expand Collapse

Man, you're living on the edge!

Next time you might get a crackhead asking for change, but don't confuse them for zombies!

Damn, does owning a gun just make people more paranoid when they carry? Primary, Secondary? next time just carry a strong flashlight.

I guess growing up in a city with bums all around you just become immune to their antics.

20. jp3975

jp3975
    Expand Collapse

Nice part of town? Ive seen them in every part of Atlanta.

One even walked around with me for an hour trying to help me find which parking garage I was in.

Hell of a thing when you lose your car and there's half a dozen garages in the area.:rofl: