close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Railroad spike knife

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by codecowboy, Aug 17, 2013.

1. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman
    Expand Collapse
    BLR
    Silver Member

Interesting piece.

I've been trying to make knives off and on for a couple years now. One of these days I'll get brave enough to post a few.

Wayne Goddard's book is an excellent place to start. Though it will probably cost you a bit more than $50.00 now than when it was written it is probably still the cheapest way to get into it.

countrygun is right, it is very addicting and fun.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Very addicting. I started knife #2 tonight.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm
    Expand Collapse

oh man,,, you guys are rekindling an old flame. I had to give up my short knife making career 10 years ago,, after several sessions of physical therapy on my shoulders, elbows and hands. IMG_3281.JPG

the long knife was a file with a bone handle. the short knife was a slice off a forktruck fork

4. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

The only one I ever made that I have a picture of is this one (I was making before digital cameras ) It was the first knife I made with my first "store bought" forge. The wife wanted the first one from the forge and designed it herself as a "left-handed paring knife". I did it in one day after I annealed the 1" ball bearing it came from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the prettiest I ever did but we had a bet about whether I could forge harden, temper and finish a knife in one day and, whether it would be "presentable" if I did.

I won! ( I think )

5. GunHo198

GunHo198
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for posting and all the info you guys put on here. A long time ago I bought a railroad spiked knife a blacksmith made at the State Fair. He has since past away, but my son got a spike for free from another guy who is black smithing now as he told the guy he wanted to try and make his own.

We tried heating it up with just the torch but the heat just wasn't hot enough. We will try and build the soup can kiln next week and give it a try.

#25 GunHo198, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  6. r3dot

r3dot
    Expand Collapse

That's awesome! Good work.

7. willy1094

willy1094
    Expand Collapse

I am going to have to try this!! Great post and great info. I've never done ANYTHING like this before so I may pop back in with a question or two.

8. rednoved

rednoved
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

Where do you guys get your spikes? I've borrowed a few from my local track, but there has to be a better source..

9. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

eBay has a lot for sale. But I would hazard a guess they were picked up near the local track.

For some silly reason picking up one of these things is illegal. Even though they are plentiful and will never be picked up by the railroad.

10. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Sure thing. I bought the parts for my brake drum coal forge today. I'm taking this to the next level soon.

11. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

That's what my first forge was.

12. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I was given a dual propane burner with a shelf in the middle. I removed the shelf and started the basic setup on a brake drum coal forge. My brother is going to help me reinforce it and finish the welding.

[​IMG]

13. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

Cool deal. Much better than my first 3 forges.

here is #4 a charcoal that I had rigged of another fan (long story about getting it) and miraculously the original fan turned up at a garages sale in town. I haven't set it back up since I got my propane.

[​IMG]

Here is the propane and a little "Two brick forge " I use with a torch for small work.
    The local grocery store was phasing out the metal carts for plastic ones and let me have one since I buy my propane there. worked out great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When my Dad's health got bad I had to quit working to take care of him and I rented the sop to a friend to store "divorce surplus" in and they thought that meant they had a free hand to turn it into a mess.

When Dad died I sorta took a Sabbatical and it turned into a Mondical and a Tuesdical

#33 countrygun, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  14. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Nice setup. Whatever works right? I want a propane forge like that, but I find myself unable to part with the $400-$600 it would take to buy one. I'm hoping this coal forge does the job for me. If not I might have to make my own propane forge. :)

15. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

The forge you are building will work fine and especially if you can install a "gate" on the airflow between what ever fan you use and the turueye (pardon my misspelling the French word).It is more importan to control air volume than speed.

For the "Turwee", which is the pronunciation, on one I built that was similar and I used an electrical ceiling box with some of the "slugs" popped out.

I am curious though about your design? Is the "T" so that you can bring the air in and the "tail below for ash fall ?

16. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Yes. Forced air from the side via a hair dryer or a leaf blower with a regulator. The bottom will have a screw on cap or a slider to block the air, but also serve as a ash fall. Following the path of least resistance should send the air up through the flange and the vent at the top.

[​IMG]

17. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

If you can get a slider or gate on the air side, you'll be all set.

Did you get the burners for the propane unit??? Good start on a home made propane unit.

18. codecowboy

codecowboy
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

The table in this was a dual burner propane stove that somebody made. I just thought it would be a nice dual use setup by making the center my forge. Though I'm wondering if I could turn one side into a high flow propane forge somehow. HMMMM. The possibilities are endless.

19. countrygun

countrygun
    Expand Collapse

They really are. I have some salvage equipment I had put back to build a propane unit out of but I wanted to spend more time hitting hot steel than wrenching cold steel.

I got a restaurant deep fryer (propane) that the electronic controls went out on. I figured a little cutting here, a little bending there some insulation and a little fan ducting.......

I was going to have a home made forge or be positioned to dock with the space station.

#39 countrygun, Aug 23, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  20. officer196

officer196
    Expand Collapse

That is really cool. Very impressive for your first go at it.