close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Rail attachment that doesn't exist, but should?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by strakele, Jan 16, 2013.

1. strakele

strakele

Jan 8, 2012
    Hey guys,

I just started my final undergrad semester of mechanical engineering and have to do a capstone project in which I design and build a novel product.

Given how universal rails are, I'm interested in designing a new rail attachment that would fulfill a need and be marketable.

So I come to you all to solicit suggestions. What doesn't currently exist that you'd like to see exist?

It needs to be something useful, something people would buy, and something that could be designed, built, and tested in one semester (around 13 weeks). I have to decide on the idea fairly quickly.

So, what's something new you'd like to attach to your rails?

Thanks!

2. GLJones

GLJones

May 16, 2000
    Orlando, Florida
    GoPro Camera Mount (or similar action camera)

3. savage16

savage16 OMGWTF

Dec 25, 2012
    Nicholasville, KY, 40356
    /thread.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. SouthpawG26

SouthpawG26

Sep 4, 2004
    Suriname
    Actually there is a Go Pro Picatinny mount:
    [​IMG]

What i would like to see, and ill gladly purchase and field test a prototype for you, is a male-to-male (rails facing/opposing each other) picatinny clamp.

The first reason is to quick-mount/release the new generation of flashlights, no doubt shortly followed by lasers and IR emitters, with a picatinny rail section on the flashlight body. Like the new Nitecore P25 below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Such a clamp would remove the need for clamping the light in a ring mount every time you want to put your EDC flashlight on your long gun. With such a clamp a flashlight can go from your pants pocket to the gun and back in seconds with no ring mount hassle.

Second reason is that such a clamp allows the new generation of handheld 2000+lumen handheld searchlights to be temporarily mounted to a long gun (Surefire had a pic on their website of their Beast flashlight mounted to a Barrett .50).

Example:with such a clamp, this 2450lumen light,
    [​IMG]
    ,could now be fitted to a long gun with this 50mm cuff clamp from Hogue:
    [​IMG]

Whether and why you would want to do such a thing is entirely up to you of course, rest assured that I do have a practical usage in mind for such a far fangled monstrosity...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  5. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
  6. mace85

mace85 NRA GOA USPSA

Mar 22, 2005
    Arizona
    A small camera with integrated flash storage made flat enough to fit in a holster that is activated by a switch. A laser would be an added bonus. If a camera isn't feasible an audio recording device.

The idea being when your gun comes out of the holster the recording activates acting like a black box. You can then replay as evidence in a SD shooting. I would happily field test.

7. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Cleaning kit or parts kit. Sort of the grab the rifle and go idea. Possibly integrated vfg or afg with it.

8. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Jun 23, 2006
    Houston
    What's left out there that hasn't been done? Chronograph? Pepper spray? GPS? I'm out!

9. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA