Radial statement on Gun Manual Safeties...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by DaBurna, May 25, 2012.

1. I heard a guy say, "Safeties on guns are nothing but devices that are designed to get u Killed!" I was pretty taken aback at his statement. But, I didn't wanna get into a pissing match with him either. I myself am not a HUGE fan of manual safeties, but I recognize their significance on certain plaforms (i.e. 1911). I was more appalled by his ignorance.... Wow!!!:wow:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

3. Lior

Let me guess - you heard this in a gunshop?

4. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

He's a shock jock; Jerry and Maury have made a bundle with that kind of material.

If you drop MANY (not ALL) autoloader pistols on a hard surface with the applied safety OFF, they will discharge often enough from the impact to make that safety desirable. THAT function, not the "safe while handling" function, is the original reason applied safeties were put on early autoloaders.
  5. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

People that don't like manual safeties either don't want to put in the time/practice to make them second nature and/or act like it's one the most difficult devices to use that has ever been invented.

Bottom line, train to use it or buy something without one, but don't act like it's a death sentence, magic trick or as hard to learn as quantum physics when people prefer them.
  6. I agree, I am so tired of hearing people act like having a manual safety on a gun is a death sentence. If you want to be a cowboy buy a six-shooter and wear it on your hip.
    I like a manual safety, it allows me to be sure the gun is safe when wearing it at home or other crowded places. I practice drawing and flipping the safety off as I bring my gun up and have no problem doing that. Stop acting like a safety is something awful, they are very good to have and will not bother you if you take a little time and learn how to use them.

People act like bad guys know you are carrying and are gonna challenge you to a duel out in the street. If you don't have the fraction of a second to flip off your safety as you draw your gun then he must have already shot.
    Learn to use a safety and quit acting like a Hollywood movie character.

7. Glad you decided not to reply to that blanket statement.
    Lifes to short to dance with stupid people.
  8. Lots of us own pistols with and without thumb safeties and use both safely and effectively.

It doesn't matter whether you are talking thumb safeties or calibers, or cars or politics - there are people pronounce anyone who doesn't agree with them to be an idiot. It never seems to occur to them that such pronouncements betray them to be close minded, closer to idiocy than those who are able to consider both sides of a given question, and would-be dictators.
  9. People who wish to not have a manual safety are fine with me, after all if they screw up they will pay either with Glock leg or for accidentally shooting someone.

If you are comfortable without a safety then so be it. But some people like manual safeties and can handle a safety in a defense situation.

10. Bruce M

I wonder how many people who dislike them have attempted to carry a pistol with the manual safety off and not touch it. I wonder how many times in a decent holster a safety gets knocked into the on position.
  11. I dislike manual safeties on a carry gun.

That's my personal preference. I don't mind if others use them :)

IDPA is not self-defense training, but if it was, I think it clearly shows that having no manual safety allows the shooter to be faster and more accurate.

It is also amusing to watch some people at IDPA stumble with their safety, either forgetting to swipe it off, or ineffectively swipping it off. Or if they have some other problem, they go back to the safey to see if it is the problem, and sometimes even swipe it back on and then try to shoot again :rofl:

Having said that, I carefully look my Glock back into my holster. More careful than if it had a manual safety, more careful than with my Beretta 92. Other people have other priorities, other preferences, so they might do things differently :)
    #10 ithaca_deerslayer, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  12. Part of good conceal carry is to have a good holster. Before you carry a gun in any holster you need to wear that holster at home for a couple weeks and practice drawing and reholstering. Then you can see if your safety is accidentally flipped on when drawing.

Usually it is easier to flip the safety off than on. I have never had a manual safety problem when drawing my SR9c, but then I use an excellent holster.

Manual safety should not scare you away from a good gun. You can always leave it off if you wish.

13. Well said! plenty of highly skilled and practiced shooters occasionally fumble the safety just under the stress of competition. Being shot at is more stressful than that and the great majority of people carrying for self defence are less skilled and practiced than the high level gun gamers so how sure can they be that they won't fumble the safety when they need to defend themselves? What they do then is keep on pulling the trigger without producing bangs rather than thinking that they have missed the safety.

What else is wrong with safeties? It makes people think the pistol is safe, but if they have forgotten to put it on safe but think they have done so it is very dangererous indeed. The main risk of this is after the bullets have stopped flying and the surviving guy re-holsters. Stress makes him forget the safety but he reholsters as normal with a strong risk of shooting himself in the process. This is not the only risk of this type.

So what are optional safties good for? The sad answer is not much!

What do we need instead? Properly designed backstrap grip safeties that, with a modification of the way the pistol is gripped as it is drawn and re-holstered, will keep the pistol on safe in the region of the holster. The 1911 design is not good because it is pivoted at the wrong end. Incidentally, the middle finger grip safety on the old S&W .35 auto is useless for this purpose - it must be on the backstrap.

14. As said above, depends on the platform. Long guns are another subject. We're talking pistols here.

I own lots of different pistols and revolvers, but my only carry guns are either DAO pistols or on rare occasion a modern revolver. For instance I own and enjoy shooting several 1911's, but will not carry one of them. That's just my preference.
  15. There are guns that don't require a safety to be safe. Those I buy.
    There are guns that require a safety to be safe. Those I do not buy.

My first 40 years was with pistols. Now I shoot semi-autos that don't need safeties and I don't need to re-learn how to shoot. My choice. Yours may vary.

(I do not consider a 100 year old design to be safe compared to guns designed with today's technological advances)
  16. TSAX

:rofl:, that couldn't be :supergrin:

17. How about just a non-cocked striker DA with a trigger activated firing pin block.
    No problem with re holstering, dropping or getting run over by a truck. No grip safeties, lever safeties, middle finger safeties or button safeties needed.
  18. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

19. The majority of injuries cause by unintended discharges by Glocks happen when re-holstering. The happen because something, sometimes a finger but often some other random object, gets inside the trigger guard and pushes the trigger back as the pistol is holstered. A trigger activated firing pin block does not solve this problem and is no more, if well designed, than one of several drop safeties. Glock call theirs a trigger safety but it is in fact a drop safety situated on the trigger. It does not make the trigger safer.

To a degree, a heavier trigger action makes the pistol slightly less prone to inadvertent discharges but it will not prevent the pistol from being fired under stress with a severe startle response and it will not prevent a reholstering discharge because you are using the muscles of the arm rather than the finger to reholster. For these small gains the pistol looses a lot in practical accuracy and even speed of fire.

20. And he probably likes FMJs and light triggers for self-defense.
    #20 cowboy1964, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012