close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

racking in the middle of the night

Discussion in 'GATE Self-Defense Forum' started by 1canvas, Jun 24, 2012.

1. often times people talk about the intiminating sound of racking a pump shotgun or a slide on an auto pistol to scare people off. my question is if in the bedroom at night and I am awakened by the sound of breaking glass, whether staying put or having to investigate, do I want to loudly rack an action and alert possible bad guys that I am awake and armed? although my 870 chamber is empty I would rack it if I was to stay put and called police, but my auto pistol is in condition one for if I feel the need to investigate.
    I also keep a 5 shot .44 stashed at the head of the bed in the event I am awakened by someone on me in a wrestling match.

2. Mas Ayoob

Mas Ayoob KoolAidAntidote Moderator

Nov 6, 2005
    As you've noted, racking the gun gives your position away.

While there are documented cases of bad guys being scared into submission or flight by the sound of a gun being racked, it also tells the hard felons that you're so far behind the curve it just now occurred to you that you might need a loaded gun.

best,
    Mas