Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Race Riots

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Between what is happeneing with the Martin/Zimmermen case and the 2012 election and the possibility of Obama losing, anyone considering the possibility of race riots as a possible SHTF event in the near future.

Will it not be that bad, or will it be worse than the Rodney King Riots?

Will it just be a Florida issue with the Zimmerman case, or will it spread nationwide?

Will it be contained in known urban hotspots, or will it spread beyond the cities?

I don't want to get into a black vs white debate. All I have to say I'm making sure I carry my CCW 24/7 and have extra mags in the vehicle, along with Bear spray in both vehicle as non lethal crowd control.

I don't want me or anyone in my family to end up like Reginal Denny.
  2. bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    In answer to your multiple questions:

1. everyone on this forum is aware that there can be race riots.
    2. everyone on this forum is aware that there are parts of town that you don't visit in the best of times at 2 am or perhaps in the middle of the day.

The Rodney King riot was caused by two items that people routinely overlook.

LAPD was on extended shifts. The Superior Court Judge was specifically asked to hold up announcement of the verdicts until officers could be on duty. The Judge rejected the request. As a result, the verdicts were announced when the prior shift officers were on the way home.

LAPD had a plan. It was based upon 1965- withdraw from the area. Of course, in 1965 there wasn't television automatic video replay. I saw the first replay on wide screen television of the Denny beating in the presence of the Chief. It was broadcast over and over and over. So, plans did not keep up with technology.

Most of the people arrested as looters were illegals from Central America, not black/negro/colored US citizens. In many instances, specific businesses were targeted.

3. I think there will some riots and an increase in revenge crimes. I can't imagine how widespread they will be.

Nobody knows for sure whats going to happen. All we can do is be prepared. I'm ready with a few boxes of buckshot and extra mags for the Glock.
  4. Arvinator

Jan 16, 2011
    Since I live in a small community with very little racial issues and a small number of any minority I am better then most. I suggest that you keep an eye on the news and when things start to stink like a riot get your plan into high gear of what you will do.
    In the event of a riot a few plans will go a long ways to keep you safe. Your car is much more than a bunch of rioters on foot. Drive to safety, calling 911 first. In the event they come to your home, a cam corder filming the idiots will go to support your self defense claims and I'd put mine on a tripod from a upstairs window if trouble came my way.
    In the car, gun, ammo, OC spray are all good choices but avoidance is best. When they come to your home, they are asking for trouble. Keep a water hose handy for small fires and once you run off or stop a few with something more than they have, I think they will get the hint.
  5. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Sure, it's on the radar. One thing that's making heterogenous relations particularly toxic this time around, is Obama's background campaign theme of class envy. He's making it morally acceptable for the (self-styled) "have nots" to attack the (accused) "haves."

Furthermore, look at how this president springs into action on high profile race issues:

He immediately placed himself against the police and in league with professor Gates, saying the police had "acted stupidly" (Obama's words) to arrest Gates when Gates became combative. Any of us would have been arrested if we'd become combative, too...but Gates is apparently an untouchable, in Obama's mind.

He reflexively rushed to Trayvon Martin's defense with "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon" (Obama's words). There was obvious and unavoidable racial content in those words, which sent a clear signal that a disproportionate, nation-wide response would be tolerated if not welcomed. Green light for Jesse Jackson, who decided to "turn a moment into a movement" (Jackson's words.) Followed by a $10K bounty for Zimmerman's pelt, put up by the Panthers. (Which was apparently OK with the authorities in FL.) In this case, Dear Leader had chosen sides with virtually no evidence to go on, other than...well, skin color, to be blunt.

I really don't know how you'd expect relations to get better when there's a sitting US president who keeps picking away at America's racial scab.

Preparedness plans for civil unrest? Don't really have any, beyond avoiding the well-known trouble areas in LA. Now, who'll be the first to call me a coward, or a fool?
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  6. Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    The 1992 Los Angeles (Rodney King) riots.

Florida boys should prepare for the worse scenario.

Remember that the police left the area in the LA riot.

Good question about will it spread nationwide...
  7. Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    Good idea putting this here. I started a thread and asked the exact same question in the GNC Lounge a week or so ago and it was locked within minutes.

8. rwrjr

May 25, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't like this idea. What you think may be used to support you can also be used against you. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere your neighbors will have plenty of testimony to back up your assertion of imminent danger. If riots take over your neighborhood, do what you need to do until you and yours is safe, then shut up and get a lawyer.
  9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, I enjoyed the Rodney King riots just fine, but I had cable then. now that I use netflix and DVD's, I won't get the 24-hour feed, so that will be worse, but otherwise not a problem.

Many people, black and white, hope it will become nationwide and turn into more of a civil war. I'll be interested to see whether either side can pull that off. If Benjamin Crump quits paying his publicist, I imagine martin/Zimmerman will go away and the only issue will be the election.
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Florida is not California and its police and citizens are mostly not Californians. That make all the difference. You will see a LOT more lead fly if their are ever riots in FL that seriously spill out of the inner cities.
  11. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    I would characterize it as a likelihood rather than a possibility.

Depends on where you live.

Contained to urban areas and inner suburbs. Spreading requires logistics and planning. Would dissipate very quickly outside of urban areas where resistance was met, but won't make it that far anyway.

Then best to avoid urban areas in the aftermath of the verdict and the election.
  12. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    One thing I will venture:

The race riot possibility is like radioactivity.

It will decay over time at an algorithmic speed.

Once the shock wears off, especially if its a clean win with no contested states… after we're passed the swearing in….

It will decay to near zero.

Reason: Short memories.

It also depends on how Zero behaves post-presidency. If he has some dignity and wants to suck up on the million dollar lecture circuit, or subscribe to racial demands that he become some black elder statesman, he'll keep his yap zipped except when its appropriate and just give speeches for money.

If he goes the Al Sharpton / Chuck Schumer route and goes TV camera hunting at every opportunity and gets heated with the rhetoric, we could have a new Malcom X on our hands.

Remains to be seen.
  13. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Course, the decision isn't either-or. Look at Bill Clinton, who does both. Also Carter. Liberal presidents don't "relinquish" the power and fade quietly away like conservatives do. Libs crave power and want it as long as possible. We'll be having to listen to Obie for a long, long time, no matter what happens in the next election.
  14. Dirk Pitt

Dirk Pitt Millennium Member

Jan 12, 1999

HEY! I remember that view! FROM MY FRONT WINDOW. What fond memories.:sigh:
    Well maybe not so fond,
    Lived it, saw it, smelled it (that part nobody tells you about) and got through it.
    NOT A FUN EVENT, take all precautions as everyone here is talking about.
  15. Bring_it!

Apr 9, 2012
    True, but Reginald Denny was not pulled from his truck and beaten by an illegals.
  16. Bring_it!

Apr 9, 2012
    Unfortunately, there is a minority (meaning size not race)element of our society that gets their primal trigger pulled over the dumbestthings, like their home team losing a sporting eventor getting impatient waiting in line for a new release of high-top BB shoes.
    In 92’ we had a moderate (or what ever you would like to call him) republican in the WH. Currently, the WH is occupied by a personwhose claim to fame is being a “community organizer”. We shall see what part of the community hechooses to organize.
  17. Natty

Jan 28, 2006
    I have In-Laws in Florida that were born and raised there. Not the New England Yankee transplants that have invaded Florida. I've been there several times. They hunt and fish and shoot. It will be a sorry group of rioters that make it to their area.

They even invited me down to a turkey shoot May 29th.

18. I agree. The South, aint urban California.
  19. Pardoner

Sep 28, 2000
    Lake Mary, FL

Florida is NOT a disarmed California. The news pointed out with this whole Martin issue that the stats for Florida has 1 in 17 people with a CCW permit.

I went to the gun show in Orlando a few weeks ago. It was the first time I have EVER had to stand in line to get in and I had a good 25 people in front of me to wait for. The largest local dealer in the area had a sitting area packed with people waiting for their background checks to come back. I heard one of their 20 sales guys commenting that he was selling 2-3 handguns an hour himself that day (multiply that by 15 in their handgun area).

I hope there aren't any issues, but there is a demographic that looks for any excuse to start trouble.
  20. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Oct 3, 2000
    Lakeland, FL.
    My circle really hasn't given much serious thought about it. It's more likely some other area of the country will do the rioting if it were to happen.